I'm travelling from Coventry to Bridgend and back tomorrow; I want to go out via Birmingham and come back via Reading, for which two different ticket flows exist, the via Reading fares being more expensive. I planned to buy a via Birmingham return and excess the return portion.
I just went to the ticket office at Coventry to buy the ticket; he sold me the via Birmingham return, but he wouldn't sell me the excess. He said it had to be done "on the day, at Bridgend". That surprised me; is that correct?
He also said that my Off-Peak Return via Birmingham couldn't be excessed to a Super Off-Peak Return via Reading (on the return portion), and that the excess would have to be to the Off-Peak Return via Reading. I'm fairly sure that's not correct, but since he already wasn't going to sell it to me the point is somewhat moot; nonetheless, was he correct?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I just went to the ticket office at Coventry to buy the ticket; he sold me the via Birmingham return, but he wouldn't sell me the excess. He said it had to be done "on the day, at Bridgend". That surprised me; is that correct?
He also said that my Off-Peak Return via Birmingham couldn't be excessed to a Super Off-Peak Return via Reading (on the return portion), and that the excess would have to be to the Off-Peak Return via Reading. I'm fairly sure that's not correct, but since he already wasn't going to sell it to me the point is somewhat moot; nonetheless, was he correct?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.