• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of Route excess mid journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotton

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
101
I assume this is not permitted, but when traveling between stations with two different route options, would you be able to change your route mid-way through your journey if you were still on both routes.

IE, for lots of cross country flows with a via London route, would you be able to travel (on the XC train) to a station which would still be on the London route and then excess (most likely a zero excess) to the more obvious direct route.

This would be most useful if a journey began before 09:30/whatever the off peak restriction for the direct route is, but arrived at the point where the route would change after 09:30, allowing earlier travel. But this is why I assume it's probably not valid, although I would like confirmation.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
That is permitted, and you obtain a change of route excess on board, at any time, without penalty.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
I assume this is not permitted, but when traveling between stations with two different route options, would you be able to change your route mid-way through your journey if you were still on both routes.

IE, for lots of cross country flows with a via London route, would you be able to travel (on the XC train) to a station which would still be on the London route and then excess (most likely a zero excess) to the more obvious direct route.

This would be most useful if a journey began before 09:30/whatever the off peak restriction for the direct route is, but arrived at the point where the route would change after 09:30, allowing earlier travel. But this is why I assume it's probably not valid, although I would like confirmation.
I'm not sure you would necessarily find it easy to get the cheaper excess that you suggest you'd be looking for.
 

Shotton

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
101
Thank you both - I assumed if was valid would be difficult in practice, but it is a good thing to know, especially since some time restrictions do feel quite onerous. (Though, I suspect splitting is probably the easiest way around this)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top