• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

change from SSR to SVR on return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
I have an SSR Taunton Reading ticket. I've used the outward portion already, but want to return on a train that is outside the SSR validity, but in the SVR validity, i.e 0935 from Reading. Can I change the ticket by paying half the difference between the two tickets? If so, what do I need to do, can I get on the train and ask the guard for an upgrade, or do I need to go to the ticket office first. What do I ask for exactly?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I believe that such an excess will incur the full difference between the applicable fares, or a brand new single if cheaper.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I believe that such an excess will incur the full difference between the applicable fares, or a brand new single if cheaper.

Yes, in this case there may not be much difference between a new single and the fares difference, so you may wish to buy a new ticket if you're likely have an opportunity to use the return ticket on another occasion.

You can pay the excess before or on-board.

 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
You can pay the excess before or on-board.


If you are aware your ticket is not valid for the journey you intend to make, and the station you are traveling from has the facilities to excess your ticket. Then it's best to excess at the ticket office before boarding.
 

Halsebee

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
259
The difference is quite significant £13 full upgrade or £38 new ticket.
Can I confirm the upgrade is for the full amount between the tickets and not just half the difference (in this case £6.50) for just the return leg?
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
Yes, change of ticket type means the full difference. It's change of route excess that costs half the difference if changing just outward or return portion.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
As GadgetMan says, definitely full difference. Half difference only applies to change of route.

£38 Off Peak single seems a bit steep- obviously excess is the way to go.

If you are aware your ticket is not valid for the journey you intend to make, and the station you are traveling from has the facilities to excess your ticket. Then it's best to excess at the ticket office before boarding.

Yes, I agree.

 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, change of ticket type is the full difference, as otherwise there are loads of journeys where people would be able to get cheaper tickets by excessing - especially on flows where there is a morning peak restriction but no evening peak restriction!

Change of route is different and is half the difference (sometimes change of route involves a change of ticket type, depending on what the appropriate ticket type is, but that makes no difference, it's still half the difference).

In both cases, the price on board is no more expensive than the price before boarding, however I suspect the barrier staff at Reading could refuse you entry to the platforms until you have bought the excess from the booking office. There is no penalty for these excess types on board though.
 

Terrafire

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
74
Yes, change of ticket type is the full difference, as otherwise there are loads of journeys where people would be able to get cheaper tickets by excessing - especially on flows where there is a morning peak restriction but no evening peak restriction!

Change of route is different and is half the difference (sometimes change of route involves a change of ticket type, depending on what the appropriate ticket type is, but that makes no difference, it's still half the difference).

In both cases, the price on board is no more expensive than the price before boarding, however I suspect the barrier staff at Reading could refuse you entry to the platforms until you have bought the excess from the booking office. There is no penalty for these excess types on board though.

Seems like a bit of a lacuna - I've been on quite a lot of long-distance trains from London where my ticket hasn't been checked on board (particularly FGW and Virgin), so if there's no penalty then if I were less upstanding and ethical I'd never get an SVR where an SSR was available. Of course, my preferred solution would not be to impose such a penalty, but to have consistent on-board ticket checking, but we live in the world we live in.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
... I've been on quite a lot of long-distance trains from London where my ticket hasn't been checked on board....
It's not always possible to check tickets on-board (just as lots of other things can't always be checked in all walks of life), however from London it is often the case that there is a reliance on barrier checks.
 

Terrafire

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
74
It's not always possible to check tickets on-board (just as lots of other things can't always be checked in all walks of life), however from London it is often the case that there is a reliance on barrier checks.

True, normally due to crowding. But there's not really an excuse on the last SOR and last SVR trains, as they're not that busy due to the next train coming in cheaper. And most ex-London intercity trains have quite a length between the London terminal and the first stop (London-Reading and London-Milton Keynes both being approx 35 mins, for example).
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
From busy stations like London, barriers should (if used correctly) prevent people boarding a train for which their ticket is not valid. On quieter parts of the route there's more time to check the newly-boarded, plus the trains are likely to be quieter.

And most ex-London intercity trains have quite a length between the London terminal and the first stop (London-Reading and London-Milton Keynes both being approx 35 mins, for example).

London-Reading takes 25 minutes - with a busy-ish HST that's around 400 tickets to check, or around 3.75 seconds per passenger. Beyond Reading there should be more of a chance to check tickets, but even then stops are often fairly frequent.

There, saved Flamingo from replying!

(I do agree with you to a point though - I've often been on pretty quiet trains with no ticket checks, or a cursory "any tickets from X")
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top