• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chances of moving signal box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzly18

New Member
Joined
24 Jun 2016
Messages
3
Ive just been offered a position as a grade 2 signaller in wales. The advert said one area but the actual signal box is 1hour away from home instead of 20 minutes. If I were to accept the position, what are my chances of moving signal box after a time and if it were possible, how long does it usually take for a position to come up?
Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
I did a commute of an hour to my signalbox.
As to the chance of moving, yes it might be possible but there are too many variables to say how long it would take. I can think of Boxes on my old line that never had a vacancy in 8 years.
 

Sunset route

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
1,224
Since getting promotion 15+ years ago from my small one man box the an ASC I've had a commute of an hour either by train or car in average conditions. Now I've gone up the grades to the top and all the small boxes in my area have since closed, this is my life until I retire. But sideways moves or promotion to places of work that are nearer to home are generally out there most of the time, it's just about biding your time and waiting for a vacancy to appear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top