Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
Moving out from here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-bodycams-flashing-red-meaning.307622/#post-7961781
I would like to see a licence required to operate CCTV installations with strong safeguards on what is collected, why and who by, and on it being available to anyone making a Subject Access Request.
An easy way to enforce it would be a requirement to display a licence number board visible on any premises covered by it allowing an easy subject access request and complaint process even if you don't know who operates the premises. Those like me who disapprove of its misuse would quite happily report noncompliant installations, given that cameras are usually visible.
To obtain such a licence one would need to evidence what the CCTV was recording. In particular it would be an offence to have privately controlled CCTV capable of seeing or hearing anything outside the property on which it is installed. Modern systems are capable of blurring out parts of the image on recording, and similarly on careful control of what areas are covered by microphones. CCTV covering public places should only ever be allowed to be installed by public bodies and subject to the same levels of control e.g. it must not record video or audio onto private property except with express written and withdrawable consent.
There would also need to be some sort of regulation of dashcams, but I'm not sure how that would be managed. But I'm rather less concerned about that (as a car is typically only passing) compared to e.g. a Ring doorbell opposite potentially constantly recording into my front window. If someone stood outside my house and filmed through my window more than incidentally, I'd certainly be having words about the rudeness of doing so (even if legal), and I don't see a fixed camera doing the same as any different. I do however have concerns about the constant filming "dashcams" on the likes of Teslas - if one is parked directly outside my front window it could feasibly be recording for a prolonged period straight into it, and I don't find that acceptable. Perhaps a reasonable option would be that dashcams may legally only be active when the vehicle is turned on (and thus moving rather than potentially parked outside a house) or when it detects a break-in via the alarm system.
It's very easy to blank parts of the image in software and not record those parts.
I have significant issues with the overuse of CCTV in any context. In particular the use of audio which may pick up conversations which may have been private before it existed, and the use by private individuals with few or no controls such as Ring doorbells.
It is something I would like to see strong privacy legislation on.
So no, it's not just the railway.
My view would be that you can have it but it should be necessary to evidence that it only covers your property and does not record public areas or anyone else's.
Evidence to whom? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the principle, but how are you enforcing it?
I would like to see a licence required to operate CCTV installations with strong safeguards on what is collected, why and who by, and on it being available to anyone making a Subject Access Request.
An easy way to enforce it would be a requirement to display a licence number board visible on any premises covered by it allowing an easy subject access request and complaint process even if you don't know who operates the premises. Those like me who disapprove of its misuse would quite happily report noncompliant installations, given that cameras are usually visible.
To obtain such a licence one would need to evidence what the CCTV was recording. In particular it would be an offence to have privately controlled CCTV capable of seeing or hearing anything outside the property on which it is installed. Modern systems are capable of blurring out parts of the image on recording, and similarly on careful control of what areas are covered by microphones. CCTV covering public places should only ever be allowed to be installed by public bodies and subject to the same levels of control e.g. it must not record video or audio onto private property except with express written and withdrawable consent.
There would also need to be some sort of regulation of dashcams, but I'm not sure how that would be managed. But I'm rather less concerned about that (as a car is typically only passing) compared to e.g. a Ring doorbell opposite potentially constantly recording into my front window. If someone stood outside my house and filmed through my window more than incidentally, I'd certainly be having words about the rudeness of doing so (even if legal), and I don't see a fixed camera doing the same as any different. I do however have concerns about the constant filming "dashcams" on the likes of Teslas - if one is parked directly outside my front window it could feasibly be recording for a prolonged period straight into it, and I don't find that acceptable. Perhaps a reasonable option would be that dashcams may legally only be active when the vehicle is turned on (and thus moving rather than potentially parked outside a house) or when it detects a break-in via the alarm system.
We will have to start having very tall fences in front of our houses.
It's very easy to blank parts of the image in software and not record those parts.
Last edited:
