Good morning all!
I have been following these forums for the last three months as I was caught travelling without a Railcard back in August (my own fault, lesson severely learnt) and have found people's advice on similar matters to be incredibly helpful - so I thought it was time I made my own post with specific details. Any advice is hugely appreciated!
I travelled a short journey to a festival on GWR at the end of August and bought a Railcard ticket (it cost be ~£5 at Railcard price so would've been ~£8 full price). At the destination station, there were about 20 GWR staff members who were filtering the exit so that they could check tickets. They stopped me and asked for my Railcard which I couldn't present, they then took my details, informing me this was an official prosecution and that I would receive a letter in the post. I have been stressing non-stop about this since as I have read forums where people have received extra charges based off their Trainline ticket history - for me this would be a nightmare. I have used Trainline to buy tickets not only for myself but for my partner and I also do not remember when I last had a Railcard. How far back can they fine me for? I did have a Railcard at uni but I have no evidence of this since my uni email is inactive now.
How long can I expect to wait and how bad is my situation? I have considered contacting GWR myself as I am scared that they have sent a letter and it has been lost. I have sometimes hoped that they didn't bother looking into the case further since the initial fare was so low, but I know this is wishful thinking.
If anyone can offer any advice of guidance, it would really help me feeling less anxious about this 24/7
Also, as I said, I have learnt my lesson the hard way here and will not be getting myself in this situation again.
TIA!
I have been following these forums for the last three months as I was caught travelling without a Railcard back in August (my own fault, lesson severely learnt) and have found people's advice on similar matters to be incredibly helpful - so I thought it was time I made my own post with specific details. Any advice is hugely appreciated!
I travelled a short journey to a festival on GWR at the end of August and bought a Railcard ticket (it cost be ~£5 at Railcard price so would've been ~£8 full price). At the destination station, there were about 20 GWR staff members who were filtering the exit so that they could check tickets. They stopped me and asked for my Railcard which I couldn't present, they then took my details, informing me this was an official prosecution and that I would receive a letter in the post. I have been stressing non-stop about this since as I have read forums where people have received extra charges based off their Trainline ticket history - for me this would be a nightmare. I have used Trainline to buy tickets not only for myself but for my partner and I also do not remember when I last had a Railcard. How far back can they fine me for? I did have a Railcard at uni but I have no evidence of this since my uni email is inactive now.
How long can I expect to wait and how bad is my situation? I have considered contacting GWR myself as I am scared that they have sent a letter and it has been lost. I have sometimes hoped that they didn't bother looking into the case further since the initial fare was so low, but I know this is wishful thinking.
If anyone can offer any advice of guidance, it would really help me feeling less anxious about this 24/7

Also, as I said, I have learnt my lesson the hard way here and will not be getting myself in this situation again.
TIA!