• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught with child ticket as an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.

imintrouble

New Member
Joined
4 May 2026
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Hi all, I was pretty stupid and continued to use child tickets after I turned 16. I got caught at 18. I regret my decisions so much but now I just need advice. Over the past 2 years I’ve made about 60 short journeys (Solihull to Birmingham) the fare is typically 4.80. The woman taking my details told me my account would be investigated and I would be charged for all the times I’ve done this. I have read previous posts on this and I don’t want a criminal record so I was ready to pay an out of court settlement. I’ve just received my letter however they seem to have only fined me for the one journey. If I pay this do I need to respond to this letter, and is the investigation still undergoing or have I been let off easy as I expected to have to pay way more.
Attached is the letter I was sent
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,911
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Hi all, I was pretty stupid and continued to use child tickets after I turned 16. I got caught at 18. I regret my decisions so much but now I just need advice. Over the past 2 years I’ve made about 60 short journeys (Solihull to Birmingham) the fare is typically 4.80. The woman taking my details told me my account would be investigated and I would be charged for all the times I’ve done this. I have read previous posts on this and I don’t want a criminal record so I was ready to pay an out of court settlement. I’ve just received my letter however they seem to have only fined me for the one journey. If I pay this do I need to respond to this letter,

No
and is the investigation still undergoing or have I been let off easy as I expected to have to pay way more.
Attached is the letter I was sent
Based on our experience, it's quite possible the investigation is still ongoing but if you pay this then you can essentially ignore any threats of criminal proceedings regarding the rest of it. It is possible they may attempt the civil route but relatively unlikely, again based on what we've seen so far.

In the circumstances as described by far the best thing to do is pay this immediately, to keep this letter (you don't need to respond to it if you pay) and a receipt for payment (which you should get from the website) for at least six months, if paranoid six years, and if they do get in touch again then to come here with the correspondence before acknowledging or responding to it in any way.

(And obviously stop bunking fares. A 16-25 railcard may help depending on when you travel as may various season tickets. More bespoke advice is available in the fares advice subforum )
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,837
If I pay this do I need to respond to this letter, and is the investigation still undergoing or have I been let off easy as I expected to have to pay way more.
No, just pay it and get this out of the way. WMR will probably write to you in due course asking you to pay for more journeys but they will have closed this case and therefore have no leverage to bring a prosecution.
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
No, just pay it and get this out of the way. WMR will probably write to you in due course asking you to pay for more journeys but they will have closed this case and therefore have no leverage to bring a prosecution.
I am under the impression as per a recent post that WMR has been instructed by DFTO not to send speculative threatening letters any more
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,837
I am under the impression as per a recent post that WMR has been instructed by DFTO not to send speculative threatening letters any more
I have no idea but if they don't then the OP will have nothing to worry about.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
If this is West Midlands railway we have seen numerous cases on here of them coming back seperatly but often within six months for money associated with other evasion.

So the op should watch out for keepers e mail and check spam over the next year at least and come back here if they are contacted so they can get more advice as needed.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
It's a shame you didn't just apply for the 16-17 saver that you were entitled to. Would have meant paying child fares until you turned 18 anyway!

Get yourself a Railcard to minimise costs, and pay your settlement pronto.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top