• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught short faring - West Midlands Trains - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UserF

New Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
West Midlands
Hi everyone,

First of all, goes without saying that I deeply regret my actions and know what I've done is wrong. However, I'm after advice on what to do next.
Story is as follows:
Yesterday there were revenue protection officers at Birmingham Snow Hill Station who caught me short faring. I was using a Tyseley to Birmingham ticket rather than an Olton to Birmingham ticket. They caught me because they were doing an operation whereby they were giving everyone who boarded from Tyseley a special yellow ticket in person. I obviously didn't have that ticket.
The officer (who seemed more senior than others there) pulled me over and explained this, and asked roughly where I lived, to which they concluded Olton was my closest station. I said that I was staying at my girlfriends house near Tyseley which is why I had a Tyseley ticket.
The officer than referred me to another one who basically asked the same questions, and I gave the same answer. He then started to type up a penalty fare notice on his tablet, but then stopped because the senior officer came over again, scanned my ticket again, and said he was going to refer it to the fraud team. They then let me go. Note: I did not provide them with any personal details (name, address etc). They did not say what the next steps would be (if any).
Further potentially important information is that I was previously stopped a few months ago again using a Tyseley ticket, but this time with a railcard applied using a ticket that was off peak. I received a penalty fare of £50 for this - the issue here was the fact I had a railcard, not the fact I was short faring. I tried disputing this but the appeal was rejected an I paid the £50.

I have been shortfaring for approximately 3 years, commuting on average twice a week. Therefore the amount I've 'not paid' is significant. I've done a rough estimate looking at my past 2 years worth of transactions on trainline, and applying the current return fare from Olton (£6.60) to any return journey I have made, and calculating the difference between what I actually paid. This comes out to around £550. Note I stopped at 2 years because the website doesn't list transactions prior to this, however I think the app does go back further.

I would like advice on what to do next? I am very much considering emailing the digital fraud team and admitting to what I have done. My logic is that they may be more sympathetic in terms of allowing me to settle out of court rather than taking full legal action. Given how long I've been doing it for, I'm scared they will be less willing to settle out of court.
I am concious I haven't given them any of my personal details, but I'd expect they'd be able to get everything they need from the scan of my ticket. I am very keen to avoid court proceedings because it would affect my job. I'd much rather pay an out of court settlement.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
It is better to wait for them to contact you, which they undoubtedly will.

WMT are known for offering to settle, but it is going to cost you a significant sum - and they will ask for the full fare not just the difference (they want you to stop cheating altogether, not just settle a debt).
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
@UserF. An undiscounted Anytime Day Single from Olton to Birmingham (one way) is currently £4.40. A return journey, likely would be charged at 2 x singles, rather than at the cheaper Anytime Day Return rate. So for a couple of return journeys, that will be £17.60. And you are unlikely to be given any credit for fares inappropriately part-paid.

Over two or three years, that could quickly add up to approaching two grand. In addition, there's likely to be a three figure investigation and admin fee added on top. As @30907 has advised, best now to wait for WMT to get in touch with you.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Welcome to the forum.

DO NOT contact the train company ahead of them contacting you. Wait for their letter - this is because you don't know what the letter is going to say and there is a risk you could inadvertently incriminate yourself by contacting them now. Also, without a case reference number they're unlikely to be able to match up anything you send with your case.

When the letter arraives, posta redacted copy of it in this thread and forum members will proof read it for you. It is likely that WMT will offer you an out of court settlement but it's likely to be expensive due to the volume of invalid ticlkets it seems you've used, and because you've come to their attention before.
 

UserF

New Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
West Midlands
Thanks everyone for the replies.
A couple of further questions:
1) How long would you expect it to take to receive a letter?
2) Going forward, what account would you recommend I buy train tickets on? I will obviously buy the correct ones, but do you think I should continue using my normal trainline account or buy from a different website under a different email etc? My logic for continuing with trainline is that they can see I've stopped doing it and my logic for using someone other than trainline is that by using trainline, I'd basically be admitting guilt. I'd welcome people's explanations on this.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,295
Thanks everyone for the replies.
A couple of further questions:
1) How long would you expect it to take to receive a letter?
2) Going forward, what account would you recommend I buy train tickets on? I will obviously buy the correct ones, but do you think I should continue using my normal trainline account or buy from a different website under a different email etc? I can see pros and cons to both.
Well if you get good help from this forum then maybe consider buying your tickets from the forums linked ticket selling site.

Stop using trainline but don’t delete your account there because they can still access all the data but you won’t be able to which puts you at a disadvantage.
 

UserF

New Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
West Midlands
Well if you get good help from this forum then maybe consider buying your tickets from the forums linked ticket selling site.

Stop using trainline but don’t delete your account there because they can still access all the data but you won’t be able to which puts you at a disadvantage.
Please can I ask (you'll notice I've edited my previous reply as well), is your logic for stopping using trainline the same as mine? I'm personally leaning towards continuing with trainline so they can at least see I've stopped doing it.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
It really doesn't matter which company you use to buy your tickets from in future. The main thing is you must make sure they're 100% valid.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,295
Please can I ask (you'll notice I've edited my previous reply as well), is your logic for stopping using trainline the same as mine? I'm personally leaning towards continuing with trainline so they can at least see I've stopped doing it.
My logic is trainline charge for certain things that others don’t and aren’t necessary to pay if other retailers are used so I’ve always boycotted them really. So probably not your reasoning in this situation

But thanks for asking.
 

ofc48121

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2025
Messages
19
Location
west mids
Hi everyone,

First of all, goes without saying that I deeply regret my actions and know what I've done is wrong. However, I'm after advice on what to do next.
Story is as follows:
Yesterday there were revenue protection officers at Birmingham Snow Hill Station who caught me short faring. I was using a Tyseley to Birmingham ticket rather than an Olton to Birmingham ticket. They caught me because they were doing an operation whereby they were giving everyone who boarded from Tyseley a special yellow ticket in person. I obviously didn't have that ticket.
The officer (who seemed more senior than others there) pulled me over and explained this, and asked roughly where I lived, to which they concluded Olton was my closest station. I said that I was staying at my girlfriends house near Tyseley which is why I had a Tyseley ticket.
The officer than referred me to another one who basically asked the same questions, and I gave the same answer. He then started to type up a penalty fare notice on his tablet, but then stopped because the senior officer came over again, scanned my ticket again, and said he was going to refer it to the fraud team. They then let me go. Note: I did not provide them with any personal details (name, address etc). They did not say what the next steps would be (if any).
Further potentially important information is that I was previously stopped a few months ago again using a Tyseley ticket, but this time with a railcard applied using a ticket that was off peak. I received a penalty fare of £50 for this - the issue here was the fact I had a railcard, not the fact I was short faring. I tried disputing this but the appeal was rejected an I paid the £50.

I have been shortfaring for approximately 3 years, commuting on average twice a week. Therefore the amount I've 'not paid' is significant. I've done a rough estimate looking at my past 2 years worth of transactions on trainline, and applying the current return fare from Olton (£6.60) to any return journey I have made, and calculating the difference between what I actually paid. This comes out to around £550. Note I stopped at 2 years because the website doesn't list transactions prior to this, however I think the app does go back further.

I would like advice on what to do next? I am very much considering emailing the digital fraud team and admitting to what I have done. My logic is that they may be more sympathetic in terms of allowing me to settle out of court rather than taking full legal action. Given how long I've been doing it for, I'm scared they will be less willing to settle out of court.
I am concious I haven't given them any of my personal details, but I'd expect they'd be able to get everything they need from the scan of my ticket. I am very keen to avoid court proceedings because it would affect my job. I'd much rather pay an out of court settlement.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
My case was very similar. I received my letter 5 weeks later (via email), responded 24 hours later with an apology and then received an out of court settlement 48 hours later.
 

UserF

New Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
West Midlands
My case was very similar. I received my letter 5 weeks later (via email), responded 24 hours later with an apology and then received an out of court settlement 48 hours later.
That's good to hear. Would you mind posting a redacted version of the apology letter you sent? Very keen to ensure I say the right thing. Thanks in advance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top