lizichungus
New Member
Hello,
I was issued a TIR by a member of TPE staff whilst travelling, and have not yet received a letter. I'll try to leave emotions out of the details and stick to a list of facts about the journey.
It appears that is not a requirement to update your name on a 16-25 Railcard. I've read through the terms and the only one potentially applicable is the following:
Funnily enough, the first thing I did when I woke up was reply via email to an unhelpful member of the Railcard Help Team regarding this on my Railcard (they've changed my name and not title despite sending a copy of my deed poll and won't tell me how to change it on my Railcard. I've since learned after today I need to call them). I've been pro-active in trying to get it changed literally to avoid situations like this where I have to tell some poor member of staff that I'm a transsexual - it's really embarrassing!!
I'm aware that I've committed the byelaw offence of not buying the ticket before I got on board but something doesn't feel right about me potentially having to prove to people that I used to live in a different gender role than I do today, but it looks like I'll have to when I am asked to provide TPE with a statement (in which I will apologise and ask if there is any way that this doesn't have to be brought to court). I feel like I could be being indirectly discriminated against because of my gender identity here, as I feel like I have to pre-emptively tell even more people that I'm trans (I really hate doing this) and have to try and prove it to them to a point where they'll accept it - and I'm not in the position to really complain about it as they do have me for the buying on board! I've been trying to draft a reply but I'm having difficulty maintaining a positive tone being apologetic, higlighting I was fully intending to pay, whilst simultaneously being upset about how I was and am being treated. I don't even like complaining about this type of thing either
I've only just moved back home after graduating from university too and if they don't offer me an out of court settlement because of a couple of minutes I'll lose a lot of employment prospects in most of the sectors I want to work in (my degree involved a lot of numbers). I would have been willing to pay a penalty fare to avoid all of this but I wasn't even given the chance, was really nice to the man who wrote me up yet it feels my life could be over before I've had the chance to properly start it.
Anyway I'll stop with the ranting I'll post an update when I get my letter. I'm sure at least one of you might find this interesting as I've searched for hours and can't find anything similar!
Thank you
I was issued a TIR by a member of TPE staff whilst travelling, and have not yet received a letter. I'll try to leave emotions out of the details and stick to a list of facts about the journey.
- I boarded my train after hurrying to the station and realised I never finalised my purchase on Trainline
- I then, upon realising, immediately purchased a 16-25 Railcard discounted Off-Peak Day Return, 2-3 minutes after the train departure. I did not intend to avoid the fare and have a 16-25 railcard
- Nearing the end of the journey (over 10 minutes later), I am asked to present my ticket and railcard, which are then both scanned and inspected.
- The staff member briefly continues walking and might have scanned another ticket, then came back to me, re-scanned my ticket and told me how it had been bought after departure. There is no mention about railcard discrepancy.
- I apologised profusely multiple times and told him it was because I was rushing everywhere
- I then upon his request follow him inside the terminating station where he takes my ID for details and spends a few minutes typing these in, content that I am the person on the ID given
- A picture of my ticket is taken, and I am then asked for my railcard
- As the details on the card do not match those of my ID, I am then asked very confrontationally who the railcard belongs to, and I profess twice that it is mine.
- He then asks me how this could be the case, to which I very quietly inform him that I am a transsexual. I don't think he initially believed me - he stared at me for a good few seconds after I told him, which felt like he was looking for features of my previous gender on my body and I felt really humiliated and embarrassed by this.
- I told him about my ongoing e-mail thread with the Railcard Help Team regarding changing my name to which he shared experiences of his own trans friends having issues with changing their names
- I am then given my paper report and let out of the station
It appears that is not a requirement to update your name on a 16-25 Railcard. I've read through the terms and the only one potentially applicable is the following:
As the member of staff had previously checked my railcard and not brought it up earlier - I would think it is fair to say that the photo is recognisable as myself, albeit 3 years ago. It was only after seeing further identification whilst taking photographs for evidence that I was accused of using someone else's railcard - surely meaning that I was recognisable as the cardholder when he checked it on the train.2.9 The photo of the cardholder must meet our guidelines and be recognisable as the cardholder
Funnily enough, the first thing I did when I woke up was reply via email to an unhelpful member of the Railcard Help Team regarding this on my Railcard (they've changed my name and not title despite sending a copy of my deed poll and won't tell me how to change it on my Railcard. I've since learned after today I need to call them). I've been pro-active in trying to get it changed literally to avoid situations like this where I have to tell some poor member of staff that I'm a transsexual - it's really embarrassing!!
I'm aware that I've committed the byelaw offence of not buying the ticket before I got on board but something doesn't feel right about me potentially having to prove to people that I used to live in a different gender role than I do today, but it looks like I'll have to when I am asked to provide TPE with a statement (in which I will apologise and ask if there is any way that this doesn't have to be brought to court). I feel like I could be being indirectly discriminated against because of my gender identity here, as I feel like I have to pre-emptively tell even more people that I'm trans (I really hate doing this) and have to try and prove it to them to a point where they'll accept it - and I'm not in the position to really complain about it as they do have me for the buying on board! I've been trying to draft a reply but I'm having difficulty maintaining a positive tone being apologetic, higlighting I was fully intending to pay, whilst simultaneously being upset about how I was and am being treated. I don't even like complaining about this type of thing either
I've only just moved back home after graduating from university too and if they don't offer me an out of court settlement because of a couple of minutes I'll lose a lot of employment prospects in most of the sectors I want to work in (my degree involved a lot of numbers). I would have been willing to pay a penalty fare to avoid all of this but I wasn't even given the chance, was really nice to the man who wrote me up yet it feels my life could be over before I've had the chance to properly start it.
Anyway I'll stop with the ranting I'll post an update when I get my letter. I'm sure at least one of you might find this interesting as I've searched for hours and can't find anything similar!
Thank you
