• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Catering on New Cross Country

What catering should be provided on the New Cross Country Voyagers?

  • At-seat trolley service

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Shop as it is, without changes

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • A modified version of the shop.

    Votes: 21 51.2%
  • The shop should be totally removed, and not replaced at all.

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other (Please state in your post)

    Votes: 1 2.4%

  • Total voters
    41
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Any other service is crud - ScotRail operate Intercity services, certainly the ones that run up to Inverness from Glasgow/Edinburgh aren't local, and they as a result make use of the ex HT buffet cars.

I'd argue that Transpennine trains like Liverpool to Newcastle are also Intercity!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Guest
Cardiff to Pompey is essentially a local service in my book as it calls every single station pretty much....

Pompey Harbour
Pompey & Southsea
Fratton
Cosham
(2 stations)
Fareham
(7 stations)
Southampton Central
Romsey
Salisbury
Warminster
(Dilton Marsh)
Westbury
Trowbridge
Freshford
Avoncliffe
(and one I can't remember the name of)
Bath Spa
(odd few)
Bristol Temple Meads
(odd few again)
(Patchway)
(Severn Tunnel Junction)
Newport Gwent
Cardiff Central

That's pretty much every station....

If I was on a train for 3 and a half hours I'd buy something before I got on from somewhere like the Pumpkin Cafe on Bournemouth or Southampton Ctl station.

Admittedly I forgot about TPEx and FSR but the point is that you only really get proper buffets on non MU services.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
I'd argue that Transpennine trains like Liverpool to Newcastle are also Intercity!

I love TPE, after my really enjoyable trip to Cleethorpes, whilst on holiday in the North, a few weeks ago. :grin:

To make it even more sweeter, I only got the cheapest possible Advance First return the afternoon before travel :)

The class 185's are great trains, with a very good, reliable trolley service.
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
It's not VT's fault that the DFT or whoever it was (can't remember) denied us money/permission, to make 6/7-car Voyagers.
Virgin arn't exactly innocent - they are the ones who specified 4/5 car units in the first place. I think the DfT is right to not pay for further coaches - VT/LeaseCo should have paid if they were serious in tackling the overcrowding issues. Why should taxpayers money bail out the problems of VT ordering unsuitable trains?
 
Joined
27 Jan 2006
Messages
565
I'm looking forward to my journey tommorrow, when I will get a cup of tea on Virgin and FSR to/from Edinburgh respectively. On the voyager, I'll be able to get it when I want it. On the 170, I'll have to wait and see if it comes around.

FSR do usually provide an excellent trolley service for passengers, although I would rather have the shop.

VT dont offer catering between glasgow and edinburgh. FSR's trolly catering service is OK! Nothing special, they charge a forture compared to some operators! Ow and FSR's tea is actually freeze dried along with their coffee etc apart from in 1st class where it is brewed specially. The catering at FSR is under review due to their new head of hospitality being put in place. FSR offer a buffet to INV on some trains, you can get bacon rolls etc but no hot meals due to them being unpopular they stopped them.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
I'm looking forward to my journey tommorrow, when I will get a cup of tea on Virgin and FSR to/from Edinburgh respectively. On the voyager, I'll be able to get it when I want it. On the 170, I'll have to wait and see if it comes around.

FSR do usually provide an excellent trolley service for passengers, although I would rather have the shop.

Most of the Arriva XC services will change over from Voyager to a mix of both HST and Voyager
As a result, at-seat service will become the standard of service

FSR services with trolleys are usually reliable for standard of service, as most train services are frequent and under capacity
Exceptions are peak-time, and on some the trolley service is abandoned, but this is more common on Glasgow QS - Edinburgh
I have only travelled on one peak-time Glasgow - Edinburgh, and the host made one run only and then sat for the entire journey across from me, as it wasn't possible to get back through the train after Polmont
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
...I was on a Cardiff to Portsmouth train, which under my books, is NOT a "local" service...

Very true, Cardiff to Portsmouth is not classed as a local route (well, depends if you still refer to the ex-Wessex Trains operations under First as FGW Local). If we're going to be fussy, it is still an 'Alphaline' route. Indeed, if 158865 is on the service then you'd certainly think so as it still carries the Alphaline 'A' and wording on it! It is also true that on the cab end, under the number on the 52 end that the old Wales and Borders tracks logo is still there!

Anyway, I would still class this route as one that should have a trolley service on it. If only between Newport and Southampton, the core section of the route. Not everyone has time to buy something before they board, or they become suddenly desperate for something off the trolley (happened to me before). Besides, it's part of the journey for some people. Plus there might not have been any catering outlets near the station, or if there were these might not have been open/stocked the required item. Indeed, I actually bought a can of cider off a SWT trolley on a Sherborne - Grateley move recently. Why? Because it was some of my local stuff, Scrumpy Jack. £2.40 (or was it? Can't remember now!) it cost me, but it was over 4 years since I had last drunk it and I was rather thirsty. Cups of coffee were ridiculously small, smaller than those on FGW Local, so it just had to be done. Having a Herefordshire cider on a SWT 159 move was different. Although they should go the same way GW did in the catering operations and introduce locally-produced stock, preferably made/sourced in areas that SWT serve.

Would you be happy, Tom, If you were on a train for 3 and a half hours, wouldn't you expect some kind of catering on board?

I know I would! I might not use it, but on an Intercity journey I would expect it to be there! Something else SWT need to fix that. A catering services person operating a trolley (situated right next to the actual buffet part of the train) and not moving up and down the train, then calling it all the way through the journey from Bouremouth a buffet service is technically incorrect. I'd write to SWT to point this out, but last time I wanted to complain in writing I had to pay to post it off. FGW doesn't insist you put your own stamps on a letter to them, why should SWT? E-mailing them doesn't have quite the same effect.

Oh, and Tom...Portsmouth - Cardiff (and vice versa) trains do not stop at all stations for most of the day. Indeed, the calling pattern of, for example, the 1122 PMH - CDF is: Portsmouth and Southsea, Fratton, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Newport and Cardiff Central. By far and away NOT all stops and is fairly express. This calling pattern is typical of most PMH/CDF trains during the day. There are some that start at Bristol Temple Meads (the 0604 SO BRI - PMH comes to mind here) that also call at places like Dean and Mottisfont and Dunbridge, but these are usually early-morning/late-night trains. Some PMH/CDF trains call at Severn Tunnel Junction due to angry Bristol commuters moaning about the removal of said stops some time ago, the stops having been reinstated some time ago in response.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
FSR services with trolleys are usually reliable for standard of service, as most train services are frequent and under capacity
exceptions are peak-time, and on some the trolley service is abandoned, but this is more common on Glasgow QS - Edinburgh

I was on a very busy 1415 ex Waverley today and they made two trips and I had a lovely hot cup of tea. The service was fantastic, if a tad overpriced.

PS, my Virgin service did not have a shop, so First Scotrail is correst. The 0900 GLC-Penzance and the additional 0800 ex GLC to replace the GNER trains both lack the shop facility which is slightly annoying.
 
T

Tom

Guest
Very true, Cardiff to Portsmouth is not classed as a local route (well, depends if you still refer to the ex-Wessex Trains operations under First as FGW Local).
If it's not a local route - it's certainly not an intercity route either, so, outer suburban?
If we're going to be fussy, it is still an 'Alphaline' route. Indeed, if 158865 is on the service then you'd certainly think so as it still carries the Alphaline 'A' and wording on it!
Apart from the small fact that FGW scrapped that branding a long long time ago...

Anyway, I would still class this route as one that should have a trolley service on it. If only between Newport and Southampton, the core section of the route. Not everyone has time to buy something before they board, or they become suddenly desperate for something off the trolley (happened to me before).
You may think it needs a trolley service, but quite frankly, with the 2-car trains that FGW put on in no way are FGW able to put a trolley service going through the train every 30 minutes say. Not to mention the fact that you should arrive 10 minutes before the train in order to purchase your tickets, which the majority of time is also plenty of time to buy some food.
Besides, it's part of the journey for some people. Plus there might not have been any catering outlets near the station, or if there were these might not have been open/stocked the required item.
I can't believe you actually 'require' a 'certain' item.... :roll:
Indeed, I actually bought a can of cider off a SWT trolley on a Sherborne - Grateley move recently. Why? Because it was some of my local stuff, Scrumpy Jack. £2.40 (or was it? Can't remember now!) it cost me, but it was over 4 years since I had last drunk it and I was rather thirsty. Cups of coffee were ridiculously small, smaller than those on FGW Local, so it just had to be done. Having a Herefordshire cider on a SWT 159 move was different. Although they should go the same way GW did in the catering operations and introduce locally-produced stock, preferably made/sourced in areas that SWT serve.
SWT still go straight through RailGourmet and contract it out as per other operators and the contract for that doesn't come under renewal for quite some time. However, I think some shortcake is available on TPE and is sourced from Bournemouth!

I know I would! I might not use it, but on an Intercity journey I would expect it to be there! Something else SWT need to fix that. A catering services person operating a trolley (situated right next to the actual buffet part of the train) and not moving up and down the train, then calling it all the way through the journey from Bouremouth a buffet service is technically incorrect.
Trains are either booked for a "buffet" or a "moving trolley service". The buffet on a class 444 is too small quite frankly to use for the majority of staff - with them all still prefering the class 442 buffet counterpart which was a lot larger. If you hear there is a fixed trolley service, then it is because that they probably either don't want to use the small buffet (for various reasons) or they don't have the key for it!
I'd write to SWT to point this out, but last time I wanted to complain in writing I had to pay to post it off.
RailGourmet.
FGW doesn't insist you put your own stamps on a letter to them, why should SWT? E-mailing them doesn't have quite the same effect.
It does - you get a faster response by email in my experience!

Oh, and Tom...Portsmouth - Cardiff (and vice versa) trains do not stop at all stations for most of the day. Indeed, the calling pattern of, for example, the 1122 PMH - CDF is: Portsmouth and Southsea, Fratton, Cosham, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Newport and Cardiff Central.
I make that 16 stops over a 141 mile distance - I make that a stop around every 8 miles. I'd hardly say that is intercity.
By far and away NOT all stops and is fairly express. This calling pattern is typical of most PMH/CDF trains during the day. There are some that start at Bristol Temple Meads (the 0604 SO BRI - PMH comes to mind here) that also call at places like Dean and Mottisfont and Dunbridge, but these are usually early-morning/late-night trains. Some PMH/CDF trains call at Severn Tunnel Junction due to angry Bristol commuters moaning about the removal of said stops some time ago, the stops having been reinstated some time ago in response.
That just lowers the average "distance between stations".... I'd say a stop every 20 miles is really an intercity service in the south east.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
PS, my Virgin service did not have a shop, so First Scotrail is correst. The 0900 GLC-Penzance and the additional 0800 ex GLC to replace the GNER trains both lack the shop facility which is slightly annoying.

I'm very surprised at the Voyagers not having the shop open, as the shop is definately fully advertised in all timetable publicity as being open 05:00-20:00, unless the relevant train has the Z (in a circle) code, representing no catering facilities.

Also, on the subject of Voyager shops being closed, when they are meant to be open, within the set hours above:

Why don't some 06:xx departures between Birmingham and Manchester/Bristol, and I think their maybe also one early morning departure to Reading, which doesn't have any catering available, despite it being after 05:00?

I would still class this route as one that should have a trolley service on it.

Thanks for backing me up, VXC fan, I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way towards catering on the formentioned trains.

Oh, and Tom...Portsmouth - Cardiff (and vice versa) trains do not stop at all stations for most of the day

I was thinking that myself, seeing that my 158 didn't stop at all stations by any means, and If i had counted the amount of stations we passed, and the amount we called, I would've ended up with a greater total of stations passed, not called at.

The 11:0x Bristol Temple M to Southampton Central FGW 150/2, calls at the majority of stations along the way, if not all, which the 11:22 Portsmouth overtakes, at Westbury.

become suddenly desperate for something off the trolley.

That's what often happens to me!

Because this happens to me, does this make me obsessed with getting products from a train shop/trolley, instead of a station, as Liam sates it does?

I just get very annoyed when people like Tom and Liam make comments, accusing me of things which are completely unfounded/untrue, without properly discovering the facts. Especially considering nobody on here properly knows me. (After all, I'm not actually who i say I am, even though Yorkie keeps publicly telling people that i'm a Teenager from somewhere in Lancashire?..)
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
1) Please explain to me why whenever I board a train from Paignton (vomit) the shop is ALWAYS closed and this is in the middle of the day. I understand Virmin obviously do not intend to provide a shop in this region but I could have done with a drink! Your comment is therefore wrong.

Stock Checking. Happens for Pendolinos between Manchester and Euston and usually the shop isn't open until it arrives at Macclesfield or Congleton.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
If it's not a local route - it's certainly not an intercity route either, so, outer suburban?

It's not Intercity, no. It's not local either. Outer suburban? An Alton - Waterloo or Reading - Waterloo service sounds more like it would fit under that category. So whilst it's not local, outer-suburban or Intercity, what does it fit under? Regional express is the only category I can think of.

Apart from the small fact that FGW scrapped that branding a long long time ago...

Indeed they did, but you should by now I am fussy and set in my ways with certain things. This is one of those things.


You may think it needs a trolley service, but quite frankly, with the 2-car trains that FGW put on in no way are FGW able to put a trolley service going through the train every 30 minutes say. Not to mention the fact that you should arrive 10 minutes before the train in order to purchase your tickets, which the majority of time is also plenty of time to buy some food.

In reality, who can always arrive at least ten minutes ahead of their chosen service's scheduled departure time? I know for fact I've run for trains more times than I care to remember. Quite a few of these times have been due to unexpected units/locos/power cars turning up on the service or a last-minute change of plan mind.

You also forget to mention that most people do not travel from stations that have retail outlets. I'd like to see you try and buy something to eat/drink before departing on a train from Avoncliff, Severn Tunnel Junction, Dean, Cam and Dursley, Ashchurch for Tewkesbury, Alvechurch, Scotscalder and many, many other stations that could be named.

Whilst on said topic, if your train departs Trowbridge at 0638 (06xx off Salisbury to Cardiff, Jim will no doubt know the service I refer to) towards Bath Spa, the ticket office is not open until 0640. No, it doesn't usually open early either. The point in this example is that the drinks and snack (is there one of the latter? Do refresh my memory on that one Jim) vending machines (the only options near the station until 0800 when Asda opens unless you do a massive trek to the Tesco across town) are in the ticket office. However this particular service is not booked for a trolley service I believe anyway. The point also to be raised is that on a few occasions when the ticket office has been required for AP ticket purchases in recent times, it's been closed due to staff shortages. This buggers you up on a Sunday after 1600 if you need food and drink. There are doubtless other examples all over the country.

I can't believe you actually 'require' a 'certain' item.... :roll:

By my wording in my previous post, I was thinking more along the lines of an example where in if the outlet of your choice had run out of, say, Mars bars, then the trolley may have some on it. You may buy something else from said outlet, but if you're fussy...The Mars bar was the 'required' item.

SWT still go straight through RailGourmet and contract it out as per other operators and the contract for that doesn't come under renewal for quite some time. However, I think some shortcake is available on TPE and is sourced from Bournemouth!

Fair enough.

Trains are either booked for a "buffet" or a "moving trolley service". The buffet on a class 444 is too small quite frankly to use for the majority of staff - with them all still prefering the class 442 buffet counterpart which was a lot larger. If you hear there is a fixed trolley service, then it is because that they probably either don't want to use the small buffet (for various reasons) or they don't have the key for it!

The fact remains the service in question, the 1200 WEY - WAT (I can provide a date when I check records later if required), had manual announcements, umm, announcing that 'a buffet service was available in the front 5 coaches', which was a actually a trolley parked next to the buffet. My beef on this one is that the service was not what was advertised. If a 'fixed trolley service' had been announced, then I'd have no reason to moan. Still, that wasn't the case.

It does - you get a faster response by email in my experience!

More satisfying to do a hand-written letter and receive a letter back in the post. E-mail is unpersonal.

I make that 16 stops over a 141 mile distance - I make that a stop around every 8 miles. I'd hardly say that is intercity.

I counted it to be 15 stops. One station stop every 9.4 miles on average. Bit more reasonable, considering Swansea - London is Intercity with 10 stops over 192 miles, a stop every 19.2 miles on average.

That just lowers the average "distance between stations".... I'd say a stop every 20 miles is really an intercity service in the south east.

OK, let's do the passed stations shall we...That's quite a few...To save me digging out my atlas, let's do it from Southampton alone for now. So that's Milbrook, Redbridge, Mottisfont and Dunbridge, Dean, Dilton Marsh, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Lawerence Hill, Stapleton Road, Patchway, Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction. 15 passed stations from Southampton, which is still good enough for a regional express.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1) Please explain to me why whenever I board a train from Paignton (vomit) the shop is ALWAYS closed and this is in the middle of the day. I understand Virmin obviously do not intend to provide a shop in this region but I could have done with a drink! Your comment is therefore wrong.

2) That service is a local all station commuter service so unless you expect a trolley on every branch line train and commuter working...

1) Is the shop advertised as being available from Paignton? It may be that the staff do not work the shop from Newton Abbot for stock-checking and staffing reasons.

2) The service voyagerdude220 was on is indeed an all-shacks stopper, so a trolley service is unlikely. Not unheard of, but unlikely.

Commuter service, however, I would not call it. Who commuters at 1100?
 
T

Tom

Guest
It's not Intercity, no. It's not local either. Outer suburban? An Alton - Waterloo or Reading - Waterloo service sounds more like it would fit under that category. So whilst it's not local, outer-suburban or Intercity, what does it fit under? Regional express is the only category I can think of.
Sounds fair to me - although I'd rather say regional limited stopper ;)
Indeed they did, but you should by now I am fussy and set in my ways with certain things. This is one of those things.
You spoon goon!
In reality, who can always arrive at least ten minutes ahead of their chosen service's scheduled departure time? I know for fact I've run for trains more times than I care to remember. Quite a few of these times have been due to unexpected units/locos/power cars turning up on the service or a last-minute change of plan mind.
Aye - but in my experience 5 minutes is plenty to buy a ticket and something to drink or eat.
You also forget to mention that most people do not travel from stations that have retail outlets. I'd like to see you try and buy something to eat/drink before departing on a train from Avoncliff, Severn Tunnel Junction, Dean, Cam and Dursley, Ashchurch for Tewkesbury, Alvechurch, Scotscalder and many, many other stations that could be named.
Of which there are normally some local shops around the area ;)
Whilst on said topic, if your train departs Trowbridge at 0638 (06xx off Salisbury to Cardiff, Jim will no doubt know the service I refer to) towards Bath Spa, the ticket office is not open until 0640. No, it doesn't usually open early either.
Yes but early morning and mid-evening onwards there is normally the commuter traffic who primarily go from the major stations.
The point in this example is that the drinks and snack (is there one of the latter? Do refresh my memory on that one Jim) vending machines (the only options near the station until 0800 when Asda opens unless you do a massive trek to the Tesco across town) are in the ticket office. However this particular service is not booked for a trolley service I believe anyway. The point also to be raised is that on a few occasions when the ticket office has been required for AP ticket purchases in recent times, it's been closed due to staff shortages. This buggers you up on a Sunday after 1600 if you need food and drink. There are doubtless other examples all over the country.
Indeed there probably are but you can't win them all! 8-)
By my wording in my previous post, I was thinking more along the lines of an example where in if the outlet of your choice had run out of, say, Mars bars, then the trolley may have some on it. You may buy something else from said outlet, but if you're fussy...The Mars bar was the 'required' item.
Fair enough!
The fact remains the service in question, the 1200 WEY - WAT (I can provide a date when I check records later if required), had manual announcements, umm, announcing that 'a buffet service was available in the front 5 coaches', which was a actually a trolley parked next to the buffet. My beef on this one is that the service was not what was advertised. If a 'fixed trolley service' had been announced, then I'd have no reason to moan. Still, that wasn't the case.
Define a buffet - is it really necessary to have to be in the buffet in order to call it one... I'd say its equally sufficient to be called a buffet while being a fixed trolley. Needless to say people have been sacked in the past for calling it a fixed trolley service...
More satisfying to do a hand-written letter and receive a letter back in the post. E-mail is unpersonal.
You are more likely to get it through to your intended target via email - I've certainly had issues when doing things via the post.
I counted it to be 15 stops. One station stop every 9.4 miles on average. Bit more reasonable, considering Swansea - London is Intercity with 10 stops over 192 miles, a stop every 19.2 miles on average.
Fair point - but FGW HSS services generally speed up after a period of all stop running, for example Bristol Parkway - Swindon, Swindon - Reading, Reading - London Paddington.
OK, let's do the passed stations shall we...That's quite a few...To save me digging out my atlas, let's do it from Southampton alone for now. So that's Milbrook, Redbridge, Mottisfont and Dunbridge, Dean, Dilton Marsh, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Lawerence Hill, Stapleton Road, Patchway, Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction. 15 passed stations from Southampton, which is still good enough for a regional express.
You sad sad person!!! :lol:
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I'm very surprised at the Voyagers not having the shop open, as the shop is definately fully advertised in all timetable publicity as being open 05:00-20:00, unless the relevant train has the Z (in a circle) code, representing no catering facilities.

The routes do not have Zs. The 0800 I can underdtand, as it is provided as an additional service to replace cancelled GNER trains at a busy time. Even if the shop were open, though, a trolley would probably be more benificial on this train due to it's commuter nature.

But the 0900 does not mention no catering which is rather annoying. It opens from Edinburgh presumably until Penzance where the train terminates. I think they'd get a lot of passengers if they opened the shop from Glasgow, though. I certainly fancied a cuppa at that time in the morning.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
wsxfan said:
1) Is the shop advertised as being available from Paignton? It may be that the staff do not work the shop from Newton Abbot for stock-checking and staffing reasons.

2) The service voyagerdude220 was on is indeed an all-shacks stopper, so a trolley service is unlikely. Not unheard of, but unlikely.

Commuter service, however, I would not call it. Who commuters at 1100?

I did actually say that I understand that Virmin rarely operate a shop beyond Exeter on trains destined for Paignton although Vomitdude suggested that ALL trains between x and y have a guaranteed shop!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I did actually say that I understand that Virmin rarely operate a shop beyond Exeter on trains destined for Paignton although Vomitdude suggested that ALL trains between x and y have a guaranteed shop!

OK, fair enough.

Someone mentions the 0900 GLC- PNZ has a shop open presumably from EDB to PNZ. Far from true. I don't know about the bits further north, but the shop definately closes a little north of Brum for stock check and staff changeover. Also does the same at Bristol for stock check/staff change. I presume the same happens again at Plymouth, but having never been on a Voyager south of Newton Abbot towards Plymouth (done one to Paignton once, which IS south of Newton Abbot), I couldn't say so for sure. Definately not open all the way from EDB to PNZ!

In any case, shop service is never guarenteed between any two stops. Staff may not turn out, stock may not be available (for any number of reasons), microwave failure being just a few reasons I could think of for not opening the shop.

Anyhoo, cheers for the thread clean-up Dave. You didn't need to delete Tom and I's posts though. For once we weren't having a real go! Still, it does look tidier now. Another good piece of moderation!
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Someone mentions the 0900 GLC- PNZ has a shop open presumably from EDB to PNZ. Far from true. I don't know about the bits further north, but the shop definately closes a little north of Brum for stock check and staff changeover. Also does the same at Bristol for stock check/staff change. I presume the same happens again at Plymouth, but having never been on a Voyager south of Newton Abbot towards Plymouth (done one to Paignton once, which IS south of Newton Abbot), I couldn't say so for sure. Definately not open all the way from EDB to PNZ!

Of course it will stop for crew changes and so on, but if all goes to plan I believe the shop service should be available for most of that journey, excluding crew change/stock check.

The difficulty with the shop, though, is that if someone does not turn up, no catering is available whereas if a trolley were provided, the ticket inspector could potentially take on both roles simultaneously. Of course, there'll be some stupid reason as to why he can't do both.

PS, Thanks for cleaning this up.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
OK, fair enough.

Someone mentions the 0900 GLC- PNZ has a shop open presumably from EDB to PNZ. Far from true. I don't know about the bits further north, but the shop definately closes a little north of Brum for stock check and staff changeover. Also does the same at Bristol for stock check/staff change. I presume the same happens again at Plymouth, but having never been on a Voyager south of Newton Abbot towards Plymouth (done one to Paignton once, which IS south of Newton Abbot), I couldn't say so for sure. Definately not open all the way from EDB to PNZ!

In any case, shop service is never guarenteed between any two stops. Staff may not turn out, stock may not be available (for any number of reasons), microwave failure being just a few reasons I could think of for not opening the shop.

Anyhoo, cheers for the thread clean-up Dave. You didn't need to delete Tom and I's posts though. For once we weren't having a real go! Still, it does look tidier now. Another good piece of moderation!

Indeed. There are no shop changes at Newton Abbot. If any at Exeter although most chnage at Bristol. The only trolley changes at NTA are FGW units.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
RSMs on Birmingham to South west services usually change at:
Bristol Temple M, and Plymouth, if going to Penzance.

Liam, what I meant by my original comment about Voyagers having "Guaranteed" shops isn't that at all- What i meant, is that they are suppose to have a shop between 05:00 and 20:00, subject to availability/staff change-overs off course.

I just assumed that you wouldn't see my post that way.

BTW why do you hate me so much, and haven't answered me yet?

Anyway... Returning to the original subject of what New XC should do to the shops:

I'm glad to see that way over 85% of those of you who voted, agreed that the shop should remain, either as it is, or modified.

Only 3 people (7.14%) voted for a trolley service, but rather disturbingly, 1 person (2.38%) voted for the shop being removed, and not replaced at all!
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Only 3 people (7.14%) voted for a trolley service, but rather disturbingly, 1 person (2.38%) voted for the shop being removed, and not replaced at all!

Maybe someone who doesn't like paying the ridiculously high on-board food prices?
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,282
Maybe someone who doesn't like paying the ridiculously high on-board food prices?

True, but that doesn't stop the majority of people going to the shop, to buy something.

In a way, TOCs can charge what they like (within reason), because it's all about supply and demand. (And also the convenience of buying and eating/drinking something on the move)
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
In a way, TOCs can charge what they like (within reason), because it's all about supply and demand. (And also the convenience of buying and eating/drinking something on the move)

Not only that. If there is a few people making a long journey on a train, then they are a "captive audiance" (for want of a better phrase). IE. They have no where else to go to get something to eat, as the station stops are not long enough for them to get off the train to buy something to eat or drink elsewhere.
 
Joined
27 Jan 2006
Messages
565
The difficulty with the shop, though, is that if someone does not turn up, no catering is available whereas if a trolley were provided, the ticket inspector could potentially take on both roles simultaneously. Of course, there'll be some stupid reason as to why he can't do both.


Yes, pay! and VT dont have to provide a shop between GLC and EDB due to the journey only being an hour, and apparently VT dont need to provide a shop for a journey of under an hour.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Yes, pay! and VT dont have to provide a shop between GLC and EDB due to the journey only being an hour, and apparently VT dont need to provide a shop for a journey of under an hour.

Of course; money.

There were quite a lot of GLC and MWL passengers travelling beyond Edinburgh, though, who could have wanted a cuppa. Not a big problem, of course, just something that Arriva might do better... :lol:
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I normally take my own drinks and snacks on journeys to avoid paying, but on the times I've travelled I don't visit the shop through fear of losing my seat or having my bags stolen if I don't lug them down the train. I'd use a trolley more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top