• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Catching the start/end of the sleeper - seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesM

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2009
Messages
103
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of going from Crainlarich to Mallaig next week and possibly catching the sleeper for one of the legs up or down - probably up at 7:54am.

The timetable says reservations are compulsory, the website says they aren't.

I want to pick a day when the weather is decent - so ideally don't want to have to reserve.

- Do I need to reserve a seat?
- If I do, how on earth do you do it when you get up there - it's surely unreasonable to expect us to drive to Oban!
- If I did it by phone, how would they get the tickets to me in time, say I wanted to go the next day.
- Is it even possible, presumably they want to restrict the number of people using that train, since seating is limited and they don't want coach parties!
- Presumably I can do it for about £30 - any splitting suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks,

James
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,029
Location
Kendal
I use this train quite a lot and I've never seen the seated section anywhere near full. I think it only says reservations compulsory because it goes to London, and you have to change coaches at Edinburgh into the Aberdeen portion which could get full. But once on the West Highland line it's like all other local services.

I've joined before at Corrour without a reservation and there was no issue at all. I can't imagine there ever would be, things are very relaxed up there.

Worth noting that the northbound seated sleeper (7.44 not 7.54) has a long wait at Fort William, for a train that comes through Crianlarich anyway.

Advance singles to Mallaig and back are £11.60 each way but there are never any quotas on the seated sleeper. Otherwise it would be an off peak return at £31. No splits.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top