• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Casual jobs on the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av80r

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2019
Messages
28
Location
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

I'm an engineer with a little experience on rolling stock, but I now work in an unrelated industry where my work hours are quite liberal.

I have a lot of days off per month and would be interested in earning some extra cash doing something interesting... now I heard of a guy in a previous job that used to do track inspection in his spare time as he had PTS and some other tickets. He could literally check an agency and take an odd nights work here and there. Similarly I knew of a guy in the rail company I worked for that used to go down to London on odd days to do "electromechanical" inspections on underground trains before they went out for the day.

Does anyone here know of any more detail on jobs like this, and what types of courses may be worth doing to assist if they do exist? Google won't give me anything, nor will searching the forum so it may be a pipe dream!

Many thanks for any help!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ducatist4

On Moderation
Joined
29 Apr 2019
Messages
988
Location
Mansfield
Most of the PW subcontractors that Network Rail use seem to use people on zero hours contracts. Balfour Beatty is one that springs to mine but there are lots of others.
 

Thedispatcher

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2016
Messages
106
Try offering your services to a rail industry recruiter on LinkedIn, they’re always after engineers and I imagine you could find something to fit your circumstances. Good luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top