• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cassini: End of an era

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,733
Location
Scotland
A reminder to all fellow space cadets: for the last 13 years, 2 months and 10 days there been a little piece of humanity around Saturn. In a little over three days the Cassini probe will be part of Saturn's atmosphere, and the flow of science and beautiful images will end.

I'll be raising a glass to a job well done.

[youtube]gPdgsPTNhac[/youtube]
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
I really enjoyed watching that. Inspiring stuff, thanks NajaB.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,175
Location
Elginshire
I watched The Sky at Night the other day, and I have to admit that I hadn't realised that Cassini had been out there for so long.

To me, it doesn't seem that long ago that the Voyagers were travelling through the solar system, boldly going. I believe they're now both heading for interstellar space.

My glass is raised. (It's also only 25% full... top-up, anyone?) :)
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,797
I watched The Sky at Night the other day, and I have to admit that I hadn't realised that Cassini had been out there for so long.

To me, it doesn't seem that long ago that the Voyagers were travelling through the solar system, boldly going. I believe they're now both heading for interstellar space.

My glass is raised. (It's also only 25% full... top-up, anyone?) :)

With today's tech, if we sent out more Voyagers could they overtake them?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,733
Location
Scotland
With today's tech, if we sent out more Voyagers could they overtake them?
Technology has changed, but the basic laws of physics haven't. To catch up with the Voyagers a probe would have to be travelling faster than them and in the same (rough) direction. New Horizons is travelling faster, but in a different direction. I don't know of anything else in the planning stages that will achieve solar system escape velocity.

So yes, they could be overtaken, but it's not likely to happen in the lifetimes of most members of the forum.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
With today's tech, if we sent out more Voyagers could they overtake them?

Sure but it would take a very long time. A spacecraft would need to travel at 142.7 km/s to reach Neptune in 1 year. For reference it took 7 years for Cassini to get to Saturn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top