• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnage on the WCML 04/05/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,291
The 2100 London Euston->Manchester Piccadilly seems to be about 6 minutes down passing Polesworth.
 

Speed43125

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2019
Messages
1,172
Location
Dunblane
Was meant to get the 1942 ex Blackpool for a connection at BHM for XC to OXF.... cancelled and ended up on the 2118 ex Preston with a taxi arranged from MKC.

All in all a hectic evening even with the disruption having started many hours ago.
 

leytongabriel

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2013
Messages
639
Its been carnage today on the wcml. Track defect at kenton, signal failure at Camden and train has derailed at Milton Keynes Central.

I have to say a massive applause to control and the signallers who I think have handled it really well.
Pretty bad yesterday pm too. Tamworth station closed due to an incident, trespassers delaying Northampton trains and the Crewe - London train I was on losing power and being taken out at Milton Keynes. We came to a halt, lights out and a loud pantograph bang. Got going again on reduced power after about 10m. But there was an increasing 'toasty' smell at the rear end and when I alerted the guard and he came up to investigate, he said it corresponded to where a failed traction motor was and so the train was taken out at Milton Keynes. Unfortunately the information was a bit confusing there for both station staff and passengers, especially when and ets came in with doors that allowed passengers to board. So off that one and then a last minute platform alteration and a mad rush over the footbridge as the next train to London was drawing in. Fortunately they held it for all of us to board and we got to Euston with no further incidents.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
Happy to report the 2100 arrived back at Piccadilly almost on time.
But what happened to all the pax on LNW trains? They appeared to have been cancelled across the board, and had Avanti not had cheap fares available I woul have used LNW.
Would I still be stuck at Euston?? Or would Avanti have got me to Crewe?
 

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
LNWR were running a 30 min service between Euston and Northampton calling at all stations. It's their standard disruption timetable.

They were also running Northampton - Brum New St twice an hour.
 

KeithR

New Member
Joined
5 May 2022
Messages
2
Location
Warwickshire and Bute
Happy to report the 2100 arrived back at Piccadilly almost on time.
But what happened to all the pax on LNW trains? They appeared to have been cancelled across the board, and had Avanti not had cheap fares available I woul have used LNW.
Would I still be stuck at Euston?? Or would Avanti have got me to Crewe?

They had ticket acceptance with Avanti, as well as with EMR from St Pancras, Chiltern and XC to connect.
However, for my sins, I commute with LNW, and my home station is on the Trent Valley and not served by any other TOC. In my case it was the 2200 Manchester service to Nuneaton and then a taxi organised by LNW to Atherstone.
I have found no problem with getting transport organised with LNW but I have to do the legwork myself as finding their staff can be a challenge. The Avanti response at Euston tends to be “talk to LNW”, who no longer have a ticket office on the station since the Plat 8-11 ramp was refurbished.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,934
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Another recogonised (slang) meaning is 'any chaotic situation' which is how I read the title.
I read the word as "carriage" and ignored the thread as unimportant.
I agree with Dr Hoo's view - terminology is important on a public forum.

How can a "train hit a speed board" happen without a derailment?
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
Glad I was in Manchester yesterday not London. I did find it strange that on the journey home (XC) there was an LNR train at Crewe which had Rugby and not Euston on it but now I know why :)
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,795
For those heading to Manchester, had the WCML been completely closed at least there is the option of Kings Cross/Leeds and then Leeds/Manchester as there are a few night trains over the Pennines. Of course there are ticket acceptance issues or getting the fare back off Avanti but that's the least of the worries considering the alternative is to search for a room in London, last night even the cheap hub hotels around Euston were wanting £150+.

Anyhow, even though my train did run on time, kinda spoils the evening when instead of enjoying the ambience you are continually looking at RTT or Rail Enquiries wondering if you'll get home that night. Memo to self - maybe it's best not to look until 30' before the train leaves as there's not a lot I can do about it!
 
Joined
5 May 2022
Messages
5
Location
Oxford
Also today has been carnage on the ECML, especially with long distance LNER services delayed by 150 mins, just awful! All due to some trespassers on the ECML...
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,013
Location
here to eternity
Also today has been carnage on the ECML, especially with long distance LNER services delayed by 150 mins, just awful! All due to some trespassers on the ECML...

Please see this thread for discussion of todays ECML disruption:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top