Interesting question: how many cars does a class 158 need to take off the road to result in reduced greenhouse gas emmisions overall?
About 60.
Interesting question: how many cars does a class 158 need to take off the road to result in reduced greenhouse gas emmisions overall?
Is that 60 cars, or 60 passengers, which at average car occupancy of 1.6 would be 37.5 cars, which sounds a bit more reasonable, but still alot more than I would have thought given that, I think, it only takes around 6 or 7 cars to equal the emmisions of a bus, based on a conservative estimate of the fuel economy of a bus at 6mpg (conservative because I've read that certain bus models manage 9-10mpg) and cars doing 40mpg. Maths isn't my strong suit though, so if anyone can check my figures that could be helpful.About 60.
An interesting idea, but Newcastle Emlyn was a branch off the Aberystwyth-Carmarthen line, not part of the through route. If you wanted a phased re-opening, I guess the first stage would have to be one of Carmarthen-Pencader, Carmarthen-Lampeter, Aberystwyth-Llanfarian or Aberystwyth-Llanilar. All of these suffer from including one of the 'expensive bits' where a new route would be required. The old route has been built on at the Aberystwyth end, and at the Carmarthen end (south of Pencader) I expect the curvature of the former route would significantly lengthen journey times. If the train isn't faster than driving there is absolutely zero case for re-opening.
Carmarthen and Aberystwyth are not 'two remote small market towns, socially and economically remote from each other'. In the context of our area, they are large towns, and the hourly bus service between them was the busiest TrawsCambria bus route.
Is that 60 cars, or 60 passengers, which at average car occupancy of 1.6 would be 37.5 cars, which sounds a bit more reasonable, but still alot more than I would have thought given that, I think, it only takes around 6 or 7 cars to equal the emmisions of a bus, based on a conservative estimate of the fuel economy of a bus at 6mpg (conservative because I've read that certain bus models manage 9-10mpg) and cars doing 40mpg. Maths isn't my strong suit though, so if anyone can check my figures that could be helpful.
Interestingly I seem to have picked up a figure of 6mph for a 2-car 15x from somewhere. Whether that applies to 158s or only lessor sprinters I don't know, and the figure itself could of course just be plain wrong, but if true it suggests a 158 uses no more fuel than some of the less-efficient buses. Probably false then.
60 cars.
IIRC, a typical modern DMU will average 2-4mpg per vehicle, ie 1-2mpg per 2car unit. It is at the bottom end of this range in routes that are hilly, curvy, with regular stops and/or changes in speed. E.g. like the old Camarthen - Aberystwth line. And these figures don't allow for empty moves at the end of the day.
My old 2 litre Golf (2005) does 50mpg+ combined cycle. On the roads of west Wales it has done 60mpg. Newer models will do 70mpg, some can get to 80mpg. I've assumed 60.
So 60mpg per car, vs 1mpg for the train.
Out of interest, and if it's not too far off-topic, do you know why the difference is so great? I appreciate that a DMU is massively heavier than your average car, but I would have expected a train to have proportionately much less friction on the rails than car tyres on a road, and much less air resistance, which ought to make it relatively more efficient (compared to weight) when going at constant speed. So I'm surprised that the difference is so great.
I'd also be curious to know how that compares with an EMU for fuel efficiency.
I thought the cost had been estimated at around £750m. If that's a sound estimate, then I would imagine you could do something about the slow journey time if you had £1bn or more to spend on it.The line would be slow in terms of journey time;
.... Not enough to pay for the running costs, let alone the billion quid or so it would take to build.
much less friction on the rails than car tyres on a road
I thought the cost had been estimated at around £750m. If that's a sound estimate, then I would imagine you could do something about the slow journey time if you had £1bn or more to spend on it.
Google says it takes 1hr 22min to drive, on that basis I suggest the railway needs to be built to enable 1hr 15min journey times or better, which could well cost £1bn+. Carmarthen-Cardiff also needs to be brought down to 70minutes or less, through linespeed improvements and use of the Swansea District Line. If you can't acheive both of those journey times, then the idea of a railway between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen needs to be killed off and increased bus services provided instead.
60 cars.
IIRC, a typical modern DMU will average 2-4mpg per vehicle, ie 1-2mpg per 2car unit. It is at the bottom end of this range in routes that are hilly, curvy, with regular stops and/or changes in speed. E.g. like the old Camarthen - Aberystwth line. And these figures don't allow for empty moves at the end of the day.
My old 2 litre Golf (2005) does 50mpg+ combined cycle. On the roads of west Wales it has done 60mpg. Newer models will do 70mpg, some can get to 80mpg. I've assumed 60.
So 60mpg per car, vs 1mpg for the train.
SNIP
60 cars.
IIRC, a typical modern DMU will average 2-4mpg per vehicle, ie 1-2mpg per 2car unit. [/I][/B]
I second that question. The class 230 Wikipedia article suggests that "Vivarail claims that fuel consumption will be around 0.5 litre per car per mile. This is about half the fuel consumption of a Pacer." Doubling that would put a Pacer at 2 litres per mile, which I think is somewhat more economic than 1mpg suggested by Bald Rick, but as I posted above maths isn't my strong suit.That's a very interesting set of figures. Perhaps you might point us to where such information might be obtained.IIRC, a typical modern DMU will average 2-4mpg per vehicle, ie 1-2mpg per 2car unit.
Bald Rick's estimated referred specifically to the sort of stop-start duties that would be required for Aberystwyth-Carmarthen. Every stop requires all the kinetic energy of the train to be wasted as heat in the brakes. And Sprinter-type transmissions are also much less efficient below the speed (about 40mph) when the fluid coupling locks up.
That sort of journey time would make an Aberysytwyth-Carmarthen-Paddington journey competitive with Aberystwyth-Shrewsbury-Euston.Google says it takes 1hr 22min to drive, on that basis I suggest the railway needs to be built to enable 1hr 15min journey times or better, which could well cost £1bn+. Carmarthen-Cardiff also needs to be brought down to 70minutes or less, through linespeed improvements and use of the Swansea District Line. If you can't acheive both of those journey times, then the idea of a railway between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen needs to be killed off and increased bus services provided instead.
I always got the impression that when this line was open, it was a similar ex-GWR route to Taunton to Barnstaple. Lengthy, infrequent, 43xx locomotive, three ex-GWR coaches, and if you were lucky a dozen passengers and a few parcels. Little through traffic, most of what there was being intermediate, picking up a bit towards both ends. I suspect the bus service is similar, not a high proportion actually travelling through.As an aside I think it is pretty unlikely that if this line was reopened it would take many, if any, cars off the road. The line would be slow in terms of journey time; anyone with access to a car would surely continue to use it as door to door journey time would be so much quicker. A pretty unlikely ask, but is there anyone on this forum who knows of anyone that lives along the line that currently drives to Camarthen or Aberystwth (or Lampeter) that would genuinely use the train instead?
What it would do is take people off the buses (which presumably would continue to run) and generate new traffic. But not much.
I second that question. The class 230 Wikipedia article suggests that "Vivarail claims that fuel consumption will be around 0.5 litre per car per mile. This is about half the fuel consumption of a Pacer." Doubling that would put a Pacer at 2 litres per mile, which I think is somewhat more economic than 1mpg suggested by Bald Rick, but as I posted above maths isn't my strong suit.
I have a couple of times strung together a business visit in Llanelli with one the next day in Aberystwyth, all by car of course, and the drive between the two is a lonely one in the evening. The two towns just don't relate to each other, Aberystwyth, despite what the Welsh assembly thinks, looks more towards Hereford or Birmingham (just like North Wales looks to Chester), and I suspect that a majority of the Carmarthen population have never been to Aberystwyth.
http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/arti...it the buffers§ionIs=news&searchyear=2016
Anyone surprised at this ..?
http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/arti...it the buffers§ionIs=news&searchyear=2016
Anyone surprised at this ..?
That's going to the NHS.But what about the extra £350m a week?![]()
No surprise at all, except for the angle that people are trying to blame Brexit.
This particular project may or may not be affected by Brexit, but the combination of: general economic uncertainty, lack of access to Connecting Europe Facility funding and the indeterminate future of the Union itself definitely won't help the progress of large rail projects.No surprise at all, except for the angle that people are trying to blame Brexit.
This particular project may or may not be affected by Brexit, but the combination of: general economic uncertainty, lack of access to Connecting Europe Facility funding and the indeterminate future of the Union itself definitely won't help the progress of large rail projects.
You think all of the projects running into trouble is just a big coincidence then? :roll:
It was never a viable scheme, regardless of whether the UK remained in the EU or not. Maybe the referendum result is a handy excuse not to go any further with this proposal.
I was talking about this scheme. If you believe the EU would have funded it (with some of our money of course), you give me even more reason to cheer that the vote went for common sense.