• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle to Glasgow Saturday day return (VT Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
Recently I took a trip to Carlisle. At the front of the station I noticed that Virgin Trains are offering for £17.50 a 'Saturday day return' to Glasgow that is only valid on Virgin Trains. How do they get away with this when VT are the fare setter for the any permitted route tickets? It doesn't appear to be a temporary promotion (at least, the poster didn't show any expiry date for the offer). That said, I can't find it on brfares.com.
Is this a temporary special offer? Or do VT appear to be breaking the rules on inter-availability?
I think inter-availability of the lead operator's tickets is something very important when it comes to maintaining an integrated railway system, although have no objection towards secondary operators setting their own competitive fares.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
Hmm... Me neither. Yet I am sure I saw it, along with the slogan "shopping is bigger North of the border" or something like that.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
Sorry but I cant find any such price on Virgin or East Coast website

Have you tried looking at the National Rail website?

When I took a look a few moments ago, out this Sat AM, return this Sat PM is showing as £17.50 return.


Details

Outward: Route of ticket VIRGIN TRNSONLY - Travel is only allowed on services operated by Virgin Trains.

Return: Route of ticket VIRGIN TRNSONLY - Travel is only allowed on services operated by Virgin Trains.

For Weegies who fancy a trip to Carlisle on a Saturday, the same fare is also available for the opposite direction.
 
Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
It is on eastcoast, for this Saturday, as an Anytime Day Return.
It doesn't seem to be available afterwards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top