• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle-Newcastle stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Hi,

I plan to travel via the aforementioned line both ways tomorrow to get to Newcastle.

From what I can gather, it is largely 142-operated, but whenever I hav been at Carlisle, more often than not it has been a 156.

I know that the Hexham-Middlesbrough runs are quite often 142s, but what usually run on the Northern-operated Carlisle-Newcastle services, and what am I likely to get tomorrow?

Cheers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I can tell you for definite that the 6:47, 13:22 and 17:16 from Newcastle
and the 9:37, 14:33, and 18:37 from Carlisle
all use ScotRail 156s (Its a jointly operated Northern/ScotRail service, much like you get FCC/SE on the Thameslink line)
 

valenta

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,179
Location
The Toon
Hi,

I plan to travel via the aforementioned line both ways tomorrow to get to Newcastle.

From what I can gather, it is largely 142-operated, but whenever I hav been at Carlisle, more often than not it has been a 156.

I know that the Hexham-Middlesbrough runs are quite often 142s, but what usually run on the Northern-operated Carlisle-Newcastle services, and what am I likely to get tomorrow?

Cheers

TBH, you could get either. They do not have set trains operating on the timetable. With the experiences that I have had I would have said you are more likely to get a 142 (lucky you!) However I don't know if I have just been unlucky! If you have vast luggage you probably won't want to get a pacer, but you may be lucky and get the unrefurbished (142070) former FGW train, though it feels like being on a tram the layout ia a lot better, there is a lot more space for luggage.
As mentioned if you got the Scotrail operated diagrams that would ensure a 156.
Interested to see what you get!
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Hexham - Middlesbrough - majority are 142s. Carlisle - Newcastle - 50:50 between 142s and 156s.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
You know you could wait until the autumn and get a comfy HST instead, ;)

Referring of course to the East Coast drags between Newcastle and Edinburgh via Carlisle.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,565
They do not have set trains operating on the timetable.

They do have have set trains on paper. All services have 'booked traction' yet on the day operating requirements (ie a failure) may mean the booked type is substituted for another type.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
The Northern Rail forums will have diagrams somewhere, but normally it stays the same unless a unit fails on the way out of Heaton.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The problem with Northern is they allocate units based on capacity and not suitability for distance of service.

A 156 has around 50 extra seats over an ATN refurbished 142 (the type mainly at Heaton) so the 156s go on the busiest services, not the longest.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
bashed that line during the last lot of ECML work - main excuse was to do a WEF upgrade NCL - EDB and really get me moneys worth but on the way down got an unrefurbed 142 with the rear coach locked out but as they thought it would be busy due to football a 153 was tagged on the back. As I like both classes it was near on impossible to chose!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
The problem with Northern is they allocate units based on capacity and not suitability for distance of service.

A 156 has around 50 extra seats over an ATN refurbished 142 (the type mainly at Heaton) so the 156s go on the busiest services, not the longest.
With Northern having such a thinly stretched train fleet I think that that's a fairly sensible way of looking at rolling stock allocation, rather than being a problem. Until, or if ever, Northern have the luxury of being able to double up Pacers on busy workings it's the best way to ensure that as many passengers as possible get a seat, even if the trains aren't always particularly suited to the length of the service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
bashed that line during the last lot of ECML work - main excuse was to do a WEF upgrade NCL - EDB and really get me moneys worth but on the way down got an unrefurbed 142 with the rear coach locked out but as they thought it would be busy due to football a 153 was tagged on the back. As I like both classes it was near on impossible to chose!
Hold up, are you talking about the Tyne Valley line here? I'm highly surprised to see a report of a 153 appearing on the route, haven't seen one of those in that neck of the woods in about ten years, when they all got shifted away onto Yorkshire diagrams.

To hear of Northern strengthening services in the area is quite unusual in itself, the maximum that Heaton seems able to stretch to, even on a weekend, is one, or maybe two, doubled up 142 formations when there are special events on, though the blame for this cannot be laid at Northerns' door but rather at the DfTs' "no growth" strategy for the franchise.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Hold up, are you talking about the Tyne Valley line here? I'm highly surprised to see a report of a 153 appearing on the route, haven't seen one of those in that neck of the woods in about ten years, when they all got shifted away onto Yorkshire diagrams.

To hear of Northern strengthening services in the area is quite unusual in itself, the maximum that Heaton seems able to stretch to, even on a weekend, is one, or maybe two, doubled up 142 formations when there are special events on, though the blame for this cannot be laid at Northerns' door but rather at the DfTs' "no growth" strategy for the franchise.

I'm sure I hear that a 153 came off the S+C and was on the Tyne Valley run (or might have been Cumbrian Coast, can't remember now).
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
With Northern having such a thinly stretched train fleet I think that that's a fairly sensible way of looking at rolling stock allocation, rather than being a problem. Until, or if ever, Northern have the luxury of being able to double up Pacers on busy workings it's the best way to ensure that as many passengers as possible get a seat, even if the trains aren't always particularly suited to the length of the service.

However, for Northern a 142 is a 142 and a 150 is a 150. Northern have 3 different seating arrangements for 142s and 150s. An ex-ATN 142 has around 20 less seats than a Merseytravel one, while an ex-FNW refurbished 150/1 has around 12 less seats over an ex-ATN original BR interior 150/2.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
However, for Northern a 142 is a 142 and a 150 is a 150. Northern have 3 different seating arrangements for 142s and 150s. An ex-ATN 142 has around 20 less seats than a Merseytravel one, while an ex-FNW refurbished 150/1 has around 12 less seats over an ex-ATN original BR interior 150/2.

With the 142s, that's providing you use all the seats on the (painful) ex-Merseytravel and ex-FNW models - the middle seat is not tempting at all (especially the Miseryfail ones), and judging from what I've seen standing is sometimes preferable for certain people.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
With the 142s, that's providing you use all the seats on the (painful) ex-Merseytravel and ex-FNW models - the middle seat is not tempting at all (especially the Miseryfail ones), and judging from what I've seen standing is sometimes preferable for certain people.

Some people stand on any type of train because they want to be together with their friends rather than sitting in spare seats scattered around the train.
 

STRhino

New Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
3
Location
Stocksfield, Northumberland
Hello, first post as just joined today, I live adjacent to the Tyne Valley line at Stocksfield and can confirm no sightings of a 153 and I see about 200 workings a week. Would be interested in any Tyne Valley Gen.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am regular TVL user and would say a 50:50 chance of either unless you go for Scotrail services where it will def be a 156.
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
yeh there is a randem cupple of 153s which seam to live in cumbria and though they mainly do cumbria coast they get flung on as in this case to strengthen a service.

If its pacers you want, the 10 something from CAR is reliably one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top