• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career change

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrIfFtEr15

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2024
Messages
5
Location
Reading
Hi All,

Does anybody know what's it like working as a Support incident controller for NR I'm thinking of applying as one at the moment I currently work in a control room at a station so I do have some experience working in a control room environment. Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swall

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2025
Messages
30
Location
Greater Manchester
I haven’t worked as one but had plenty of interactions with them. They will do a lot more than this but they work along side the incident controller. It can be a busy role taking calls from the help desk with reports coming in from members of the public and speaking with maintenance & response teams also signallers etc. I don’t think they are ruled but a knowledge of them would be a big help which is why a lot are former signallers/MOMs etc. I don’t think thats always the case and you will get some applicants from other control roles. I certainly wouldn’t let it put you off applying but any role in control will be sought after and it’s always worth looking at other roles such as delay attribution which might give a foot in the door. You would be expected to have a good geographical knowledge of your route including signal boxes etc. It’s can be a high pressurised environment with such things as emergency calls to deal with (sending and receiving) so that’s something you’d need to be comfortable with. There will be so much more they do but that’s a little snap shot. Good luck if you decide to go for it
 

GrIfFtEr15

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2024
Messages
5
Location
Reading
I haven’t worked as one but had plenty of interactions with them. They will do a lot more than this but they work along side the incident controller. It can be a busy role taking calls from the help desk with reports coming in from members of the public and speaking with maintenance & response teams also signallers etc. I don’t think they are ruled but a knowledge of them would be a big help which is why a lot are former signallers/MOMs etc. I don’t think thats always the case and you will get some applicants from other control roles. I certainly wouldn’t let it put you off applying but any role in control will be sought after and it’s always worth looking at other roles such as delay attribution which might give a foot in the door. You would be expected to have a good geographical knowledge of your route including signal boxes etc. It’s can be a high pressurised environment with such things as emergency calls to deal with (sending and receiving) so that’s something you’d need to be comfortable with. There will be so much more they do but that’s a little snap shot. Good luck if you decide to go for it
Thanks for the reply that's a great help probably haven't got the route knowledge of the route being advertised I'll still apply you don't know until you don't try.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,035
Location
London
Thanks for the reply that's a great help probably haven't got the route knowledge of the route being advertised I'll still apply you don't know until you don't try.

Route knowledge you can definitely learn, but it can't hurt to get a general idea of the route geography for the role that you are applying for, as no doubt it would come in handy for the application and possibly interview phase.

@Swall has given a pretty good summary of the role, and the JD on the NR website will be helpful too.
 

GrIfFtEr15

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2024
Messages
5
Location
Reading
Route knowledge you can definitely learn, but it can't hurt to get a general idea of the route geography for the role that you are applying for, as no doubt it would come in handy for the application and possibly interview phase.

@Swall has given a pretty good summary of the role, and the JD on the NR website will be helpful too.
Thank you will have a look at the websites
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top