Any Permitted
Member
I could just use some advice from people with experience of working on the railway but I'll just quickly lay out the situation I'm in first.
At the moment I'm a primary school teacher. I mostly really like my job but sometimes I skirt around burnout due to workload pressures and the unforgiving day-to-day grind of teaching. I am quite lucky that I'm in a role with good career progression, I am not desperate to leave teaching but I am open to it if the right role came along elsewhere. I do like the idea of a career change as sometimes I feel like I don't want to just do one job for the rest of my life.
Ever since I was a child I've wanted to work on the railway and I currently volunteer as a platform assistant on a heritage railway with the hope of progressing to a guard in the near future. The role is safety critical and customer-facing and I do one shift a week (more in the school holidays).
I recently applied to EMR for their Senior Conductor Apprenticeship role as I was curious whether my experience as a teacher and railway volunteer would be enough to be shortlisted. I am now at the stage of doing a video interview. I think it's a role I'd be well suited to but I'm also aware that spending the day going up and down on a busy, probably delayed Class 158 full of passengers is not an easy job and would be very challenging on some days.
The first 20 weeks pay would be £24,000 which then goes up to £32,000 - I currently earn just under £50,000, I can afford to take the financial hit as I own my house outright and have a decent amount of savings. I live around 10 minutes walk away from the station where I'd be based and I have a driving test booked for next month so would (hopefully) be able to drive by the time the role begins.
Am I utterly mad to be considering this? What's the reality of life as a conductor? How much pay progression is there in the early years of a conductor role? Is there any realistic chance to become a train driver later on in my career? Is there a difference between being a conductor and a guard?
At the moment I'm a primary school teacher. I mostly really like my job but sometimes I skirt around burnout due to workload pressures and the unforgiving day-to-day grind of teaching. I am quite lucky that I'm in a role with good career progression, I am not desperate to leave teaching but I am open to it if the right role came along elsewhere. I do like the idea of a career change as sometimes I feel like I don't want to just do one job for the rest of my life.
Ever since I was a child I've wanted to work on the railway and I currently volunteer as a platform assistant on a heritage railway with the hope of progressing to a guard in the near future. The role is safety critical and customer-facing and I do one shift a week (more in the school holidays).
I recently applied to EMR for their Senior Conductor Apprenticeship role as I was curious whether my experience as a teacher and railway volunteer would be enough to be shortlisted. I am now at the stage of doing a video interview. I think it's a role I'd be well suited to but I'm also aware that spending the day going up and down on a busy, probably delayed Class 158 full of passengers is not an easy job and would be very challenging on some days.
The first 20 weeks pay would be £24,000 which then goes up to £32,000 - I currently earn just under £50,000, I can afford to take the financial hit as I own my house outright and have a decent amount of savings. I live around 10 minutes walk away from the station where I'd be based and I have a driving test booked for next month so would (hopefully) be able to drive by the time the role begins.
Am I utterly mad to be considering this? What's the reality of life as a conductor? How much pay progression is there in the early years of a conductor role? Is there any realistic chance to become a train driver later on in my career? Is there a difference between being a conductor and a guard?
Last edited:
. The guards job is a good one and some days are very rewarding and good fun. Some days are the complete opposite and everything goes wrong with people treating you badly but it's the same with every job!