• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff to University (Birmingham) next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairlie

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2010
Messages
133
Going from Cardiff Central to University (Birmingham) next week - I need to be on the 1545 ex CDF on Wednesday (18th) and back on the 0836 ex UNI the following day. I can get it down from £83 anytime with a split at Cheltenham Spa to get £57.90 (off peak return Cardiff Cheltenham and then Anytime Return). Can anyone better that?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Is there any flexibility in your times? Can you leave an hour earlier on the Outward & 1 hour later on the return?
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Doubt it as the fares are the same whether you split at Gloucester or Cheltenham and there's nowhere else you can as these trains do not stop anywhere else.
If you could return an hour later then you can use an Off Peak for the CNM-UNI leg but I have assumed this is not possible from what you have posted.
 

fairlie

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2010
Messages
133
Thanks both - I do need to be on the 0836 train as there's stuff I have to be back for. I could consider being on an earlier outward train if that made a difference.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Wouldn't really matter tbh. Your problem is derived from the return train departing Cheltenham and Gloucester before 9:30 (ie when the off peak tickets start)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
Cardiff - Cheltenham Off Peak Return (SVR) has the same validity as under BR days - ie, no time restriction, which was the case with all Savers at that time. So it does not matter what time the train departs from Cheltenham.

The problem is that the return train departs University at a time when the SVR from Cheltenham - University would not be valid, as that particular SVR is heavily restricted to being valid after 0930, which is the case with many other former Savers, which is one of the methods the privatised rail industry used to increase fares exponentially, through the back door.

I can't see how any other saving can be possible, unless the question is actually "is there a loophole ticket, not intended to be valid, but is in fact valid, which I can use to start/finish short for this journey?" in which case I'll obviously not be answering that, and if the answer was yes and a suggestion provided, there's no guarantees the loophole would still exist by next week as it would probably be spotted and closed! :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top