• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff to Ebbw Vale line, Via Newport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypops

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Messages
169
Hi,

I have a question about travelling between Cardiff and stations on the Ebbw Vale line, which I hope somebody can help me with.

I believe that currently, excepting days where timetable alterations are in place, that a Cardiff-Rogerstone ticket is not valid via Newport as it is not served by a direct service (NWP-Rogerstone). Is this correct - or are there any easements which allow it?

Would the situation be different if the ticket was Cardiff-Pye Corner (less than 3 miles from Newport station)?


Secondly, when the bi-hourly service starts on the Ebbw Vale line, the currently advertised plan is 1 tph to Cardiff, and 1 tph to NWP. If this is the case, will travelling via Newport become valid (excepting any negative easements introduced)? And if so, will it be possible to stop / start short on a weekly season? My intuition sayys yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Andy
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
No expert, but I can't see how via Newport could be valid, as you would then have to double back via Cardiff to get to anywhere on the Ebbw Vale line.

I would expect it to be fine when a direct service Newport - Ebbw Vale starts.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
If we take it that routes up to 3 miles longer than the shortest route by regular scheduled services are permitted, and if we accept the existence of track to form a route, then it would be valid if it was just under 3 miles.

Whether it's over or under 3 miles or not is difficult to say; it depends on how exactly you measure it, but
it looks like it might be just over 3miles longer to go via Newport.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top