• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

cardiff-paddington priv cheap fare required

Status
Not open for further replies.

noname

New Member
Joined
19 Oct 2010
Messages
1
Hi all
I would like to go from CDF-PAD with a priv railcard.

whats the cheapest way of doing this?

I have heard about using 2 rovers - Foss (?) and thames valley, but I am unsure of the validity of these and also unsure what routes/times etc they can be used on. I would be in London no more than 3 days and would probably travel after 09:30

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
A return with a priv is £45.75 allowing travel on any train but you might be better off booking to singles without your priv card, fares start from £11.50 each way but are restricted to your booked train. That could get the cost as low as £23 though. You can't find prices for these fares until you know the dates and rough times you want to travel.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Split at Didcot, but remember that you have to be on a train that stops at Didcot, and also that the peak restrictions to Didcot are different than Swindon onwards.

Advanced tickets are cheaper, if you can tie yourself down. Super OffPeak is £35 each way.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
Split at Didcot, but remember that you have to be on a train that stops at Didcot
True, but I'm told that a polite request (before the train leaves Swindon/Bristol obviously) to a friendly guard can see this restriction waived, particularly for PRIV-holders.

(Even some Newcastle-based East Coast guards will allow football supporters splitting at Grantham to get trains that go DON-PBO non-stop I am reliably informed, and FGW guards reputation is of being more lenient)
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
If a PRIV holder, then they may be looked on more leniently in it is an exceptional circumstance ;) . I didn't want to say it in case I was jumped on because of "one rule for them...".

A lot of firms are buying their employees split tickets now, and allegedly not telling them the restrictions. The funny thing is that I am finding them on off-peak trains, where the off-peak ticket all the way is usually cheaper than two peak-times split at Didcot.

I'm still as a rule charging them, though <D
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Priv doesn't offer much in the way of savings on long distance open returns when compared to Advance/Saver tickets. I still decided to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard for that reason.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top