The economics of large scale battery farms probably rely on getting degraded but still useable batteries from EVs, so you still need the EVs to exist as part of the ecosystem. If they don't then the battery farms need to use new batteries and become more expensive as well as using scarce materials. (That's a musing, not necessarily a disagreement with the above). How do the economics of battery farms (capex per kWh and efficiency) compare with other storage solutions?
I would hope that EV batteries are not the main source, if so then the long term solution is a long way off. Maybe we should have stuck to nuclear.
New solar and wind do generate new electricity (not strictly new energy, only nuclear can do that), but storage reduces wastage of energy already being produced and some of the energy that this new infrastructure will produce. Use of EVs may not be the perfect solution, but the necessary hardware will exist anyway so it's essentially a zero-cost and zero-impact option. There's a bit of cost in administration, but the same is true of any provider that attaches itself to the grid and therefore participates in the energy market.
It isn't zero cost when you sell energy at a low rate, then but back at a higher one though.
Can I ask do you own an electric car? Because my experience is that when I get home I automatically plug in (unless maybe I’ve only used a few %) and don’t unplug till I leave home the next time. Clearly not everyone will be like that but I suspect the majority will be. The other thing is this control by energy companies is already there. I’m on Intelligent Octopus Go which gets very cheap rates (7.5p kWh). I tell Octopus what time I want the car to be charged by the next day and they control when it is charged. Most of the time this is overnight, but can be during the day/evening if there is excess energy on the grid. V2G will work in much the same way, and I don’t see why it would add excessively to the cost to consumers. Most of the issue will be that existing home chargers will I imagine need to be replaced by bi-directional units. But that cost will fall on ‘early adopters’ and individuals like me, not on general consumers energy bills.
No, I don't drive at all. However, I do live in an area where large scale, overnight charging is problematic to say the least, with a considerable proportion of terraced and apartment buildings making up housing stock.
I’m clearly not explaining this well.
As far as the grid and distributors see, it is exactly the same. Industry supplies new electricity to consumer at some points at x pence / kWh, and receives electricty from consumers at some points at y pence / kWh.
EV storage is not storing electricity ‘already in the grid’. No battery storage is. It is storing electricity that would otherwise not be produced*, which in the case of wind and solar would be free* electricity that we would effectively be wasting. Therefore we are taking essentially free* electricity, storing it, and then using it at a time when there is demand for it (and therefore has a value). The alternative is to waste the ‘free’ energy, but have to install more primary generation (at capital cost), hook it up to the grid (more cost), and have it doing nothing except in the peakiest demand times, and/or waste more energy by standing idle when it is sunny / windy.
My point is that it would be better for the generator to store excess energy (after all wasn't this always the plan before this EV idea came along), then release it as required. Putting more reliance on a less reliable source of storage seems like folly to me, and of course with more buying and selling its going to cost more at the end of the day.
The flow of green energy should be: Generation > Mass Storage > Grid > Supplier. What this idea proposes is Generation > Grid > EV Storage > Grid > Supplier, with a possible further step between EV Storage and Grid. Again I'm sorry but I don't see how this won't increase costs.
I’m not quite sure if your issue with this is the concept of battery storage itself, or of battery storage using lots of (very) small scale batteries that happen to be in people’s cars. The principle in energy and transaction terms is exactly the same. In practice, because vehicle to grid involves no new major DNO infrastrucutre, it should be cheaper to provide. The uncertainty comes through knowing in advance how much capacity is available, but I’m reasonably sure the pricing mechanisms and an app or two will deal with that. In terms of transaction costs for the EV users who choose to do it, that‘s no more than the transaction costs of receiving a current (ho) electricity bill.
* It’s not quite that simple, but that is the high level principle.
I think I've made it very clear I'm not against battery storage, but that I prefer large scale, accountable systems that don't involve extra financial transactions which invariably add cost. Unless of course all concerned do it for no profit.... (yeah, right!)
In this example yes - But in this respect it’s no different to a grid scale battery storage firm - just instead of 100 containers each with a 500kwh battery inside, they have 1000 containers with a 50kwh battery inside that also happen to have 4 wheels and some seats.
Storage that might suddenly not be on the grid when you need it.
I’m not sure we were promised lower energy costs.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this comment....
The point I think that your missing is that in essence the excess energy stored has very little or no marginal cost. It's therefore being brought for storage at virtually zero cost and then released back to the grid during high demand when wholesale prices are higher. As the EV already exists for use as an EV there is little marginal cost to using it as an energy storage for the 95% of the time it's not in use as a car.
Given this it's only going to reduce the cost of storage not increase it.
Yes a company managing the infrastructure to enable this will expect to take a share of the price difference between the generating costs and resale prices but it will be far outweighed by the reduction in storage costs.
Will it though. Having a fixed solution over one that might be driving around or simply not plugged in when you need it seems, well naïve in the least. And as I say, at every financial transaction will be an expectation of profit. The more you have, the more the end product will cost.
This a fascinating thread with lots of interesting information.
However your point is correct that all the infrastructure in the world won't make the necessary difference to prices, until the supply is split off from a global energy market which key suppliers are prepared to manipulate for their own benefit.
Exactly. All of this is profit driven. And profit driven tends not to be great for the consumer, especially when it comes to energy.