• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car parking near Portsmouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerroar

Member
Joined
30 May 2010
Messages
528
Location
Gloucester
I'm going to Havant in a few weeks time but want to spend some time in Portsmouth during the day. I'm driving so will be looking for somewhere to park and get the train into Portsmouth Harbour but don't want to go to a station and find a commuter filled car park at 11am.

Anywhere local with a decent sized car park between the two places?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
Park and ride and then get the bus

Or just train from Havant
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Agreed, depending where you are in Havant then you have 6tph to Portsmouth & Southsea which several continue to Harbour.

Portsmouth isn't the nicest city to drive in
 

tigerroar

Member
Joined
30 May 2010
Messages
528
Location
Gloucester
I don't want to drive there, I want to get the train into Portsmouth Harbour. I don't want to go on a bus either.

Just looking for someone who may have experience of a local station with a good sized car park where I know I can turn up and get a space. I find most small station car parks are filled with commuters cars during office hours and don't want to lose time driving to the next station.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
The short answer to your question is no, as a quick look at Googlemaps will show.
Havant has two substantial car parks, I have no idea whether spaces are available by 11.00, but that is your only real option.
The only station (as opposed to one-time Halts) between there and Portsmouth is Fratton, which has a small car park, as does Cosham.
If you are driving from Gloucester via the M27, Swanwick looks to be an option, but it's well short of Portsmouth.
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
You could drive to either Bedhampton or perhaps Hilsea, any further than Hilsea and you might as well just drive into Portsmouth.

I would imagine Cosham and Portchester to be full, would not even consider Fareham.

Bedhampton isn't the best of services.

You could even drive to Southampton Airport Parkway which has a large multistorey car park.

Botley and Hedge End have small car parks.
Swanwick will be full.
Bursledon to St Denys have either a small/no car park and rubbish train service.

You could drive to Gosport and take the ferry.

I used to live in Southampton and always drove to Portsmouth and either parked in Gunwharf Quays or down the front at Clarence Pier and never had a problem. Now a days I would just use the park and ride.
 

ajs

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2018
Messages
164
Havant Station has car parking on both sides of the station, to get from one to the other can involve a little bit of a drive. The car park on the south side is on the flat and I think gets filled up quite early in the day. On the same side there is also a non railway car park, which is slightly cheaper.The one on the north (up) side has been extended and now has a first floor and an increased capacity.

The combination of car parking charges and train fare, could make the day return trip to Portsmouth between £12 -15 before any discount on the rail fare.

You have to walk quite a way from the station to find any free on street parking. Other car parks in the area tend to be for short term parking.

I would not suggest trying to park near Bedhampton or Hilsea station.

You could try some on street parking close to Warblington Station (one stop away from Havant on the Brighton line) but only one train per hour and the level crossing can be closed to cars / pedestrians for long periods of time, depending on time of day.

My recommendation would be to use the Park & Ride, subject of course to the time you wanted to leave Portsmouth, so check times of last bus. P&R is situated just of the M275.Buses every 15 minutes and a fare of £4 to cover the bus and car park.Bus goes to the harbour and is a limited stop service so is fairly quick and generally a comfortable ride.
 

CarlSilva

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2016
Messages
144
Emsworth station is a good one. Theres' a free council car park down a the road near the park. 4 min walk, yuo can see the track from it.
Ems_stn_map.jpg


https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...425,-0.9390543,228m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top