• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Capping TfL, how to verify/determine ahead of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasfvzcx

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2017
Messages
32
Location
-
I sometimes travel with the following pattern:

- Take a (GWR) train from Reading to Paddington before 6:30
- Change to Elizabeth at Paddington and go to Farringdon/Moorgate [I used to change card, because that was cheaper, but that is not the case anymore]
- Travel back, from Farringdon to Paddington
- Take a GWR train from Paddington to Reading *after* 19:00. If I checked in before 19:00 at Farringdon, I'll use different card (which is most of the time)

Now, my question is, in situations where I used the same card for all this travel (and it was all off-peak, but in the morning peak cap is counted towards) it would say I reached the Zone 1(-2) cap.
From a dumb calculation, the Elizabeth <-> Farringdon/Moorgate journeys, don't add to the cap, and from what I understand the Reading <-> Paddington fares should have some it apportioned to Zone 1-2 travel.

Can anybody explain what's going on here, and whether there are sources out there that I've missed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,371
I understand the Reading <-> Paddington fares should have some it apportioned to Zone 1-2 travel.
It doesn't necessarily work like that. The unpublished extension fares are sometimes set in such a way that the 'inner' caps don't apply. Essentially they manipulate the extension fares to try and ensure that the Reading cap applies.

The extension fares can only be determined by making journeys around the system as there is no published source.

Do you have examples of what you have actually been charged?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top