• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cant drive a car can i still apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,847
Quite simply, if it came down to 2 candidates and 1 could drive and the other couldn't the one with a licence would probably get the job. You are less of a risk of being late for work if you can get there using your own transport than relying on others ie taxis, buses even trains.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2013
Messages
648
Location
Nottinghamshire
I do think that not being able to drive or not having your own mode of transport does put you at a disadvantage if you're outside of the immediate locality of the depot.

I say this, because I once applied for a guard role and got asked the 'How will you get to work?' question. The tone of the interview appeared to change drastically when I told them I didn't have a car yet. I told them I was planning to get one if successful but got the impression they didn't like that response.

I never heard back from the interview and I think that was the key reason.
 
Last edited:

UpRoad

Member
Joined
12 May 2019
Messages
22
I applied for the role with no driving licence. I put down using a bike and public transport. I lived nearly 30 miles from the depot I applied for but was willing to relocate. At the time of interview I was doing my driving lessons. obviously didn’t have a car licence yet. But still got the job
 

jimfrst

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2016
Messages
94
We have train drivers and shunters who don’t drive a car all the company ask is how you will get to and from the depot when there are no trains running. There is a night bus that runs near by so they use that to get in for the early starts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top