• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cancelled train, on the previous one, connecting to earlier one allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,983
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Advance ticket Great Yarmouth to Peterborough. Booked on the 10:56 from Norwich which is cancelled, managed to make the 09:55.

Will arrive at Peterborough an hour early. Have onward Advance PBO to Birmingham New Street. Am I allowed to take an earlier departure from PBO or do I have to hang around there for an hour until my booked train?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,983
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
That’s what I planned to do, I just wondered what the official position is since they brought in the revised option of travelling earlier rather than just later when there’s a cancellation. Also finding the guard can be tricky.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
Also finding the guard can be tricky.
For XC at Peterborough, they’ll be at the rear can almost without fail. Just be aware of a possible/probable crew change at Leicester which could complicate things.

I do not believe there is any official guidance for this scenario.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
That’s what I planned to do, I just wondered what the official position is since they brought in the revised option of travelling earlier rather than just later when there’s a cancellation. Also finding the guard can be tricky.
It's not explicitly spelled out how the new +/- 2 hours' ticket acceptance for cancellations works for unaffected earlier/later connecting services, let alone on split tickets. Arguably, it applies to all trains in the journey but to avoid any dispute it would be safest to check with the guard.

The guard on a CrossCountry Turbostar service will almost always be found in the rear cab of the last coach.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,983
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Found the guard, lovely young chap, did the old sucking breath in then smiled and let us on . Great stuff, thanks everyone.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I suppose it depends how fully booked the train is, on some routes it probably wouldn’t be an option. Not that there’s seat reservations but it’s not rammed so he used his judgement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top