• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you go to a PTE for help with a rail complaint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
I ask the above question beccause I was traveling on Merseyrail last night and I was looking at the poster on which it had their network map. At the bottom of the poster the wording said that if you wish to comment about the Merseyrail service or you were unhappy with the responce you had received from a train company, you can write to Merseytravel, giving their contact details.

Below that it gave contact information for Transport Focus. It didn't mention about taking complaints to them but said that it was set up by parliament to protect the intersts of rail users. They contact details then followed.

Does this mean that taking a complaint to a PTE is also an option if you are unhappy with the responce you have received from a TOC? This would be in addition to asking the TOC to look at it again or contacting Transport Focus? There are actually a lot of journeys which take place entirly within or partly within a PTE area :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
I ask the above question because I was travelling on Merseyrail last night and I was looking at the poster on which it had their network map. At the bottom of the poster the wording said that if you wish to comment about the Merseyrail service or you were unhappy with the response you had received from a train company, you can write to Merseytravel, giving their contact details.

Below that it gave contact information for Transport Focus. It didn't mention about taking complaints to them but said that it was set up by parliament to protect the interests of rail users. They contact details then followed.

Does this mean that taking a complaint to a PTE is also an option if you are unhappy with the response you have received from a TOC? This would be in addition to asking the TOC to look at it again or contacting Transport Focus? There are actually a lot of journeys which take place entirely within or partly within a PTE area :)

I think Merseyrail operates as a direct management concession from Merseytravel unlike the rest of the franchised TOCs that receive their contract from a government department be it Transport Scotland or the DfT.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Thats what I thought too about the way Merseyrail is awarded. However, the wording on the poster did say to contact Merseytravel, if you are unhappy with the responce you have received from a train company (not just Merseyrail) though. So meaning to say it could be any TOC within the Merseyside PTE area.
 

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
983
Location
Manchester
I think it'll vary by PTE. TfGM for one don't seem too bothered by rail, then again they actively convert heavy rail to their plaything Metrolink. I think for example where PTE funding has certain terms for the TOCs such as rolling stock etc they might be interested, but otherwise I'm not sure they'd be all too bothered.
TfGM's website's rail section doesn't provide any answers, and in fact provides contact details for all TOCs serving Manchester. It's also ill-maintained - there's a page on devolution of rail franchising and it states Northern's franchise as ending at the Direct Award date in 2014.
You can comment on rail services amongst other things in the 'contact us' section of the website but if you look, it says that they just pass on your comments for the relevant company to respond to.
So seemingly TfGM have no interest in the first instance at least. I imagine you could have a go if you could attract the attention of someone high enough up the PTE, but you'd need a pretty big issue for that to be justifiable. I also can't imagine what exactly it would achieve.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
A certain individual at Merseytravel (manager) had to be reminded by the local authority ombudsman of their requirement to be aware of contractual breaches (specifically Squire, the performance scheme). I get the impression they often pass the buck rather than oversee even major complaints or compliance issues.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top