• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you excess a ticket bought with a railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Okay, so on the basis that if it isn't specifically forbidden, and the only lists are for what can be 'excessed', then nothing is forbidden, is it? So why have a list of what can be done when we can do anything we want? That makes no sense to me.

Are you not aware we have a number of lists which explicitly prohibit a number of things on the railway? Perhaps you're unaware of the existence of Railway Byelaws, the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the various restrictions attached to various tickets? Perhaps, by your logic we shouldn't bother with them at all.

If a ticket restriction was worded "Valid after 0930", would you consider the ticket to be valid before 0930? After all, it isn't specifically stated that it is not allowed?

Again, perhaps you are unaware that off-peak tickets have very specific restrictions attached to them? You can look them up on the national rail website and everything!

Passengers ignoring conditions is not the fault of the railway, so why should the railway bend over backwards for them? For good media coverage?

I realise you're replying to someone else here, but for the avoidance of doubt I'm not advocating passengers ignore the conditions they've agreed to. Rather I am advocating those conditions should be changed.

Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile, let them take a mile and you might as well let them do what they want!

What an incredibly cynical attitude. As others have sad above the railway industry needs to realize that customer service and satisfaction are important elements for running any business in the 21st century. Fortunately many fantastic rail staff appreciate this - a small minority it appears do not :|

I don't offer an excess, but I don't flat out refuse either, I politely give them three options.

1) Buy a new railcard.
2) Get a replacement railcard
3) Buy a new ticket (with a refund on the unused one if possible)

It is then their choice what they do.

How does option three differ in monetary terms from offering the excess? Does it not cost more in administration and transaction costs (see below)?

Possible, but most Northern services I am on I see the guard on the train, maybe I'm just lucky?

On a Northern service I would say I see the guard two times out of three. Things have got much better over the last year to be fair.

That's not really my experience, but then maybe it's different with my pass, in fact just the other week I didn't just get asked for my priv card, they wanted to see my ID card too!

I always hand over my railcard with my ticket (whether it's asked for or not). I would say it is opened and scrutinized one in ten times (across all TOCs).

They are able to get a refund on the unused ticket provided refunds are allowed with the ticket type they hold. This should be explained at the time the new ticket is sold. However, I'm sure there are people who will kick up a whole heap of **** to avoid paying a fare.

Again this process is absolutely nuts. Why would any rational minded company subject itself to extra transactions, administrative processes and the costs incurred by these when the whole matter could be concluded readily and easily with the sale of a simple excess?

In a local ticket office to me, there are staff who will do the excess, staff who will only excess walk up fares and staff who will not do it because it is not allowed. I won't name names, but the calibre of the member of staff in other areas matches the responses to this query, which, in case you are not sure, means that those who you would complain about for everything else are the ones you'd go to for this excess. Read into that what you like.

Ok then. Would it make you feel better that next time I have cause to write to a railway company complementing them for the helpful advice, understanding attitude and efficient service offered by their staff when I've had to change plans last minute (yep it happens - don't know whether or not it is forwarded to the individual members of staff) I'll be sure to report those employee's transgressions and demand they full disciplinary procedures for failing to abide by company policy.

The TSA, whilst not strictly part of the T&Cs, is available for the general public to see if they want to look for it (it's not hard to find), however, the NRCoC, which, basically, is the terms and conditions, and is available for all to see, does not grant any right to an excess fare in this situation.

Of course I wasn't referring to the TSA, was I? I thought I had made this explicitly clear but I was referring to the "documents [you've] seen", which I took to mean internal only staff fares manuals and the like (perhaps you weren't referring to these after all - sorry for misunderstanding).

Ah, but you want the railway to accept this and that is not something you have a right to, in other words, you want the railway to not hold you to your agreement and allow you to alter that agreement in a way that benefits only you? Sounds like bending over backwards to me,

I do want the railway to accept this! I'd rather they change the agreement between me (as passenger) and them to ensure it is my explicity codified right to obtain such an excess. I believe this to be mutually beneficial (see below).

but it should be noted that the railway would be willing to refund a refundable ticket and let you buy a new one, so all isn't lost, right?

You've mentioned this a couple of times. I find it simultaneously interesting and baffling, so let's explore it a little. The process you prefer is to cancel the passenger's existing ticket, refund the full amount of said ticket and then sell the relevant undiscounted ticket? Tell me: in pecuniary terms how on earth does this differ from offering the excess? This seems to be a very inefficient and convoluted process. Does it not take up a lot of time. Does it not cost more in back off administrative costs and banking charges? Would it not be quicker just to offer a simple excess?

So where would you draw the line?

Interesting question... in this circumstance I'd draw the line at not permitting the passenger to board the train with an undiscounted ticket when proof of that discount is not presented. Clearly that would be wrong. However I see no problem with the passenger paying the difference when to ensure the they end up paying what they would have without the discount.

Wait, have we gone back to bending over backwards again?

I can't help you here I'm afraid as they aren't my rules / policies. The government and rail regulator . If you have a problem with that I suggest you either like it or lump it given it's the policy if the rail regulator to stress the importance of customer satisfaction or take it up with them directly.

Not currently well defined? There is a list of what excess fares can be done, if it's not on the list what, exactly, allows it?

What doesn't allow it? Perhaps I simply don't quite understand your unique brand of logic here. Indeed, if we were to follow it through there would be no need for Railway Bylaws, or indeed terms and conditions at all. Do you agree that we should abolish those? After all they're not needed because according to you if it's not explicitly permitted it is explicitly prohibited.

The TSA is part of the franchise agreements, so the only time it is financially viable to change it is at franchise change, but the franchises don't all change at once, so unless we want consistency in ten or fifteen years time, it's going to cost someone money, and no-one wants it to be them.

Look for example at changes made to the NRCoC, the most recent of which (July if I recall correctly) did not coincide with a single franchise change. So contrary to what you say it's clearly possible, so what would stop a condition being inserted in there that permitted an excess in these circumstances - TOCs would be obliged to offer it would they not?

You seem to proceed on an assumption that the railway would be better off offering the excess, or that no-one buys a new ticket in these situations, but if a percentage of people buy a new ticket then the railway could be worse off by offering it.

I believe the railway would be much better off. Allow me to explain why:

1. By recognizing that passengers sometimes require flexibility and offering a product to provide this flexibility customer satisfaction can be increased. Customer satisfaction is an important indicator (among many others) of railway companies' performance which is monitored by the regulator and may have an impact on franchise awards for the parent company, so it makes sense for railway companies to ensure satisfaction remains high.
2. Improved customer satisfaction is likely to improve the perceptions of the rail industry which might lead to a modest increase in passengers. This of course increases revenue.
3. Revenue is of course increased by collecting extra money the excesses generate. I do accept it is not as much offering a new ticket, but if the passenger can simply send the old one in for a refund then nothing is lost, is it?
4. By offering an excess rather than selling a new ticket and getting the passenger to send in their old ticket for a refund the number of overall transactions is reduced. This cuts costs associated with administering those transactions and ensures more profit for the railway company / more money to invest in the rail network.
5. Offering an excess compared to a brand new tickets is cheaper in the immediate term for the passenger (but as explained in points 3 and 4 does not cost the railway any more), so makes it more likely a passenger without a railcard would part with their money to regularize their travel. This would have a modest knock-on benefit by reducing the number of passengers travelling without a valid ticket.
6. By offering an explicitly codified procedure to regularize ticketless travel which is comparatively cheaper than the option of purchasing a new ticket you reduce the excuses on offer to the would-be fare evader (I didn't know what to do, I couldn't afford a brand new ticket, etc etc), thus allowing the railway industry to more effectively tackle and if necessary prosecute those who would avoid their fares.

I don't understand how any of these things can be seen to be a disbenefit to the railway industry.

I do not see how "I want it my way" is a rational or reasonable argument for allowing such an excess, but that's what I seem to be presented with.

I have presented my rational argument above. I have yet to be swayed by an alternative argument. Perhaps there is one out there, but all you have presented so far amounts to "there's no rule to say we can do it, so it's not allowed". Is this it, or do you have more substance as to why the rules as they stand shouldn't be changed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,341
Location
Bolton
Would it be fair to summarise HHF's position as: "We want to have our cake and eat it by retaining the ability to penalise someone twice for forgetting a railcard, rather than charging them the difference between what they have already paid and what they would have paid in the first place had they not used a railcard."
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I haven't read the Starmill / HHF argument.

When the ticket was bought, Hellfire planned to use it. Now his plans have changed, he wants someone else to use it, which I would class as transferring. As the ticket is non-transferrable, this wouldn't be valid, regardless of the railcard. (Tickets are only valid for the person they were bought for).

Whilst you don't see many touts, you can bet that if this policy wasn't in place, a company like Trainline or similar would buy all of the cheap tiers for what they predicted to be popular trains the day they were released, and then they could sell them at a massiv profit and no other websites would be able to come near the same price.

As to excessing away railcards, the policy appears to vary by TOC. In addition, there are some staff members who are willing to do it prior to travel unofficially.
 
Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
What are you doing here then....?....

Good Question.

....Passengers shouldn't be unfairly penalised for forgetting railcards....

Unfairly? They bought a ticket with the condition that they needed to carry the railcard with them. They fail to do this, so what is unfair about the railway saying the ticket is no use?

....The latter sentence is silly. Policy is currently vastly inconsistent - if it were amended to be less unfair everyone would be able to stick to it without cause for complaint....

Well you see there is a list of when an excess fare can be done, but presumably someone at some point decided that "customer service" might be more important, with some people following that lead and others sticking to what has been and we suddenly have inconsistency across the industry, but if everyone had stuck to what was, then maybe we'd all be consistent?

....Although they probably aren't the people who went to the ticket office to try to pay an exces...

I suppose it can work both ways.

....Ah! A TOC would never ever try to do anything like that to it its passengers would it? :p....

Well I've never intentionally done anything on behalf of the railway which is outside of the rules I have been given, but I guess that makes me unique right?

Are you not aware we have a number of lists which explicitly prohibit a number of things on the railway? Perhaps you're unaware of the existence of Railway Byelaws, the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the various restrictions attached to various tickets? Perhaps, by your logic we shouldn't bother with them at all.....

I'm sorry, what exactly has that got to do with Excess Fares?

....Again, perhaps you are unaware that off-peak tickets have very specific restrictions attached to them? You can look them up on the national rail website and everything!....

Erm.... Okay maybe I should point out that it was an example of something that says what is possible mixed with the idea that if it is not specifically forbidden then it is allowed and maybe you could read it again.... Or not bother. Either way suits me to be honest......

....I realise you're replying to someone else here, but for the avoidance of doubt I'm not advocating passengers ignore the conditions they've agreed to. Rather I am advocating those conditions should be changed....

Ah, people can't adhere to conditions so we should change the conditions to suit them?

....What an incredibly cynical attitude. As others have sad above the railway industry needs to realize that customer service and satisfaction are important elements for running any business in the 21st century. Fortunately many fantastic rail staff appreciate this - a small minority it appears do not :| ....

Well I guess I see things differently in that regard.

How does option three differ in monetary terms from offering the excess? Does it not cost more in administration and transaction costs (see below)?....

Excess Fares do not incur an admin fee, which means the additional costs associated with issuing a new ticket (card processing fee, cost of ticket stock, etc) are not met, also not all tickets are refundable.

Again this process is absolutely nuts. Why would any rational minded company subject itself to extra transactions, administrative processes and the costs incurred by these when the whole matter could be concluded readily and easily with the sale of a simple excess?....

Admin fee on refunds and costs of an excess fare.

....Ok then. Would it make you feel better that next time I have cause to write to a railway company complementing them for the helpful advice, understanding attitude and efficient service offered by their staff when I've had to change plans last minute (yep it happens - don't know whether or not it is forwarded to the individual members of staff) I'll be sure to report those employee's transgressions and demand they full disciplinary procedures for failing to abide by company policy....

At least it would be consistent.

....Of course I wasn't referring to the TSA, was I? I thought I had made this explicitly clear but I was referring to the "documents [you've] seen", which I took to mean internal only staff fares manuals and the like (perhaps you weren't referring to these after all - sorry for misunderstanding).....

The documents I have seen means the documents I have seen, be it internal, or public.

....I do want the railway to accept this! I'd rather they change the agreement between me (as passenger) and them to ensure it is my explicity codified right to obtain such an excess. I believe this to be mutually beneficial (see below)....

If it was mutually beneficial I think every TOC would have had it as an official policy by now, don't you?

....You've mentioned this a couple of times. I find it simultaneously interesting and baffling, so let's explore it a little. The process you prefer is to cancel the passenger's existing ticket,...

If possible yes...

....refund the full amount of said ticket....

Minus an admin fee for a refiund.

....and then sell the relevant undiscounted ticket?....

I do believe we are getting there....

....Tell me: in pecuniary terms how on earth does this differ from offering the excess?....

Admin fee and costs involved in an excess fare being issued.

....This seems to be a very inefficient and convoluted process.....

Possibly.

....Does it not take up a lot of time. Does it not cost more in back off administrative costs and banking charges?....

I'm assuming £10 covers the costs involved in any refund????? Whilst an excess fare would not cost more to account for extra costs involved.

....Would it not be quicker just to offer a simple excess?....

Yes, but as not all tickets are refundable I'd say there is less money in an excess fare being available.

....What doesn't allow it? Perhaps I simply don't quite understand your unique brand of logic here. Indeed, if we were to follow it through there would be no need for Railway Bylaws, or indeed terms and conditions at all. Do you agree that we should abolish those? After all they're not needed because according to you if it's not explicitly permitted it is explicitly prohibited.....

There is a list of what excess fares can be done, okay? and it is specific about what can be done, with me so far? So if something is not listed, what is it that tells us we can do it? I mean, if we had to have a list of everything we can't do, that'd have to be a pretty long list right? Or maybe the entire idea of Excess fares should start with "nothing is allowed except....."? But that's a bit superfluous isn't it?

....Look for example at changes made to the NRCoC, the most recent of which (July if I recall correctly) did not coincide with a single franchise change. So contrary to what you say it's clearly possible, so what would stop a condition being inserted in there that permitted an excess in these circumstances - TOCs would be obliged to offer it would they not?....

The NRCoC is not the TSA though, and I think, unless everyone voluntarily agrees, for this change to happen the TSA has to change. Of course, if everyone voluntarily agreed, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

....I believe the railway would be much better off. Allow me to explain why:

1. By recognizing that passengers sometimes require flexibility and offering a product to provide this flexibility customer satisfaction can be increased. Customer satisfaction is an important indicator (among many others) of railway companies' performance which is monitored by the regulator and may have an impact on franchise awards for the parent company, so it makes sense for railway companies to ensure satisfaction remains high....

This does imply that there is a link between passenger satisfaction and keeping the franchise, but this does not explain the differing fortunes of First Great Eastern and First Great Western.

....2. Improved customer satisfaction is likely to improve the perceptions of the rail industry which might lead to a modest increase in passengers. This of course increases revenue....

Possibly, but I don't think the railway is short of passengers right now, and even if it was, do you think the increasing number of passengers in recent times has anything to do with customer satisfaction?

....3. Revenue is of course increased by collecting extra money the excesses generate. I do accept it is not as much offering a new ticket, but if the passenger can simply send the old one in for a refund then nothing is lost, is it?...

Well, you see, excess fares actually cost money for the railway, whereas refunds don't. Naturally the reverse is true for the passenger.

....4. By offering an excess rather than selling a new ticket and getting the passenger to send in their old ticket for a refund the number of overall transactions is reduced. This cuts costs associated with administering those transactions and ensures more profit for the railway company / more money to invest in the rail network....

Hmmm, The number of transactions might reduce, but given an admin fee for the refund is to cover the costs of that refund, an excess would actually cost the railway more than a refund.

....5. Offering an excess compared to a brand new tickets is cheaper in the immediate term for the passenger (but as explained in points 3 and 4 does not cost the railway any more), so makes it more likely a passenger without a railcard would part with their money to regularize their travel. This would have a modest knock-on benefit by reducing the number of passengers travelling without a valid ticket....

So it's a win for the passenger and nothing, or perhaps less than nothing, for the railway? I'm not sure why the railway would want to go for this, but there you go....

....6. By offering an explicitly codified procedure to regularize ticketless travel which is comparatively cheaper than the option of purchasing a new ticket you reduce the excuses on offer to the would-be fare evader (I didn't know what to do, I couldn't afford a brand new ticket, etc etc), thus allowing the railway industry to more effectively tackle and if necessary prosecute those who would avoid their fares....

Do we not already have a procedure though? I mean, assuming for a moment that no-one did the excess, could you not say there is a procedure to follow? In what way would this remove the excuse of the fare evader?
 
Last edited:

Hellfire

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2012
Messages
573
I haven't read the Starmill / HHF argument.

When the ticket was bought, Hellfire planned to use it. Now his plans have changed, he wants someone else to use it, which I would class as transferring. As the ticket is non-transferrable, this wouldn't be valid, regardless of the railcard. (Tickets are only valid for the person they were bought for).

Perhaps this is a rule that needs looking at. What's wrong with buying a ticket for someone else to use. If the system for checking tickets is robust there can be no way of it being used twice. In any case, the ticket was bought on via a Trainline Corporate account so technically by the organisation I work for. The person who could use it also works for the same organisation, they just don't have a Railcard

Whilst you don't see many touts, you can bet that if this policy wasn't in place, a company like Trainline or similar would buy all of the cheap tiers for what they predicted to be popular trains the day they were released, and then they could sell them at a massiv profit and no other websites would be able to come near the same price.

My understanding is that Trainline don't buy tickets in bulk. It's not like concert or sports tickets where, with a bit of artifice, it's possible to buy additional tickets. They just act as agents and link to the TOC system. When I book via Trainline I see the various prices offered by the TOC at the time and this updates as, for example, when all Advance fares on a particular train get sold. So this idea that they could buy a lot of Advances and then sell them at walk-on price is not feasible.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
... In any case, the ticket was bought on via a Trainline Corporate account so technically by the organisation I work for. The person who could use it also works for the same organisation...
In that case you are allowed to transfer the ticket to that person, as stated in the NRCoC.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
My understanding is that Trainline don't buy tickets in bulk. It's not like concert or sports tickets where, with a bit of artifice, it's possible to buy additional tickets. They just act as agents and link to the TOC system. When I book via Trainline I see the various prices offered by the TOC at the time and this updates as, for example, when all Advance fares on a particular train get sold. So this idea that they could buy a lot of Advances and then sell them at walk-on price is not feasible.

Yes. My point being that if this rule didn't exist, they might operate their business differently.
 

Hellfire

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2012
Messages
573
In the interests of getting both ends of the story, I have just had an e mail from Virgin Trains saying they are very happy yo allow me to pay the difference between my Railcard discounted advance ticket and the full cost of the Advance in order that another person can use it.

I know Virgin is not everybody's favourite TOC but this does underline the view I have always had, as a regular traveller with them, that they understand the importance of good customer relations.

Obviously their rule book is bound in flexible covers!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,497
Location
Yorkshire
Agreed. And I'm not surprised they have a sensible policy, consistent with their sister company on the East Coast.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Obviously their rule book is bound in flexible covers!

hihi.gif


It will be useful evidence for next time.
 

Hellfire

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2012
Messages
573
hihi.gif


It will be useful evidence for next time.

In the interests of evidence, this is the text of the e mail

Many thanks for your e-mail correspondence, which we received on the 24th of October.

I can confirm that it will be possible to pay the difference in cost between your discounted advance ticket and a ticket with no railcard discount (unless you have purchased an e-ticket or mobile ticket) at the station so that another person can travel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes. My point being that if this rule didn't exist, they might operate their business differently.

But they would not have the opportunity.

They don't buy tickets in advance, they just link to the TOC. This suggestion that they can bulk buy tickets and then sell them on at a higher price is just not feasible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top