• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can TOCs tell you other TOC ticket restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
No need to tell you why I was at Euston, but I had a 16-25 discounted Harlington (Beds) - Brighton return at about 5pm and was unsure whether or not the evening peak restriction applied to me. However, I couldn't find the answer at the information desk (one in the centre: spoke to VT staff with LM tagged person behind them joining in the conversation) as it was nothing to do with Virgin or LM. Clearly this is obvious but surely any TOC can just type in an A-B ticket and get the restriction on the screen.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on TOC policy on help with other TOCs ticket restrictions?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
They can, but most ticket office clerks don't know how to do restrictions at all and would only know their own ones because they've memorised them specifically
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Any ticket office can tell you, any guard should be able to tell you, but if the 'information desk' you speak of is anything like the Network Rail one at Manchester Piccadilly, I wouldn't trust any information given about tickets, routeing or time restrictions, because, as far as I can tell, they are not trained on that side of things.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
No need to tell you why I was at Euston, but I had a 16-25 discounted Harlington (Beds) - Brighton return at about 5pm and was unsure whether or not the evening peak restriction applied to me.
Off Peak Return SVR http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=HLN&dest=BTN&ldn=1&tkt=SVR "valid on any train EXCEPTthose timed to Depart between 04.30 and 09.30"

Off Peak Day Return CDR http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=HLN&dest=BTN&ldn=1&tkt=CDR "Not valid for travel on trains timed to depart after 0429 and before 0930."
However, I couldn't find the answer at the information desk as it was nothing to do with Virgin or LM. Clearly this is obvious but surely any TOC can just type in an A-B ticket and get the restriction on the screen. I'd imagine I was actually fobbed off because it was busy (the station, not necessarily the queue) or because I didn't pay to use anything at Euston (aww diddums!)

Can anyone shed a bit of light on TOC policy on help with other TOCs ticket restrictions?
They can look it up. I don't know why Virgin & LM were unwilling to, but we're always happy to help!

As far as I am aware, they should provide ticket information on an impartial basis.

You could try asking them on Twitter to see if it's their policy?
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....They can look it up. I don't know why Virgin & LM were unwilling to, but we're always happy to help!....

Considering you don't actually know who the op asked, don't you think you are being a bit harsh? Doesn't Euston have a Network Rail Information point?
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I work in a ticket office - there's next to no effort involved in checking the restriction code on any ticket that has one.

However, there are a lot of retail and revenue staff who don't understand the concept of a restriction code. As such, they won't be able to perform this task.

I was minding my own business one day, walked past a ticket office (for a TOC I don't work for) and was pursued onto the street by the clerk - he was unhappy because he was unable to book an Advance ticket for a passenger (apparently it's normal to tell passengers they have to do this at a nearby large station) and asked if I could show him how to do it. During the process, he said something about all Off Peak tickets being valid only after 0930. I then taught him about restriction codes and how to look them up. He said that in several years of being in the job, nobody had ever explained these things to him and that he couldn't believe how simple it was to find out this information. He shook my hand and I continued on to enjoy my Saturday afternoon. I gave up about 20 minutes of my time to help out and I'd gladly do it again.

He isn't the only one in this situation. I have great respect for the fact that he had the motivation to ask. Few people in customer service roles actually want to be unhelpful to their customers, such as in the manner described in the OP. Staff's better nature is often failed by training programmes which don't do the system they're working with justice.

Oh and I used to work in the information point at Euston and would give out printouts from the retail manual for anyone after restriction information of that kind. The standard practice however was to send people to the ticket office for information on prices and less common restrictions.

Considering you don't actually know who the op asked, don't you think you are being a bit harsh? Doesn't Euston have a Network Rail Information point?

It's normally staffed by Network Rail security, a Virgin Trains floorwalker and a London Midland floorwalker or ticket office clerk. It is a collaborative initiative with aim of enhancing the provision of information by having "one of each" to help each other out. That said, politics meant that the logins provided for LM and VT had no internet access, significantly reducing the usefulness of the facility. It was still like that when I left, though I gather it has been sorted now.
 
Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....It's normally staffed by Network Rail security, a Virgin Trains floorwalker and a London Midland floorwalker or ticket office clerk. It is a collaborative initiative with aim of enhancing the provision of information by having "one of each" to help each other out. That said, politics meant that the logins provided for LM and VT had no internet access, significantly reducing the usefulness of the facility. It was still like that when I left, though I gather it has been sorted now.

Oh I see, so not much like the Piccadilly one then. The floorwalkers are essentially part-time ticket office staff aren't they? Do we know if the information point has to be impartial? I'm guessing not.
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Oh I see, so not much like the Piccadilly one then. The floorwalkers are essentially part-time ticket office staff aren't they? Do we know if the information point has to be impartial? I'm guessing not.

LM has dedicated floorwalkers. The information point is also part of the ticket office clerk's roster. Virgin's floorwalkers are also dedicated, but some of them probably cover ticket office duties if they're short staffed. As for impartiality, I guess it is.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
He did say he spoke to VT & LM staff!

I confess at the time I missed that small point, but I still think you were a little harsh by saying they were unwilling to help. They may have be unable to help, or they may not have the same level of information at the information point as they do at the ticket office (I honestly don't know what information they have access to there).
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
I confess at the time I missed that small point, but I still think you were a little harsh by saying they were unwilling to help. They may have be unable to help, or they may not have the same level of information at the information point as they do at the ticket office (I honestly don't know what information they have access to there).
As a Company they would have been able to help. If the individual person was unable to help, why didn't they at least suggest an alternative person to go to, or explain why?

Saying "...nothing to do with [us]" demonstrates unwillingness.

If they were willing, but unable, why not say so?!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
As a Company they would have been able to help. If the individual person was unable to help, why didn't they at least suggest an alternative person to go to, or explain why?

Saying "...nothing to do with [us]" demonstrates unwillingness.

If they were willing, but unable, why not say so?!

You'd have to ask them that.
 

leymoo

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2014
Messages
29
They can, but most ticket office clerks don't know how to do restrictions at all and would only know their own ones because they've memorised them specifically

This.

I was a little while back incorrectly sold a super-off-peak return from Reading to Redcar Central when I'd explained my itinerary would be arriving Kings Cross at 3:30pm (validity on the ticket wouldn't have let me leave at 3pm!).

The staff at Kings Cross all knew the restrictions off the top of their heads, and were perplexed that I'd not been told them at Reading, where only a small percentage of traffic ends up at King's Cross... :)
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
I was a little while back incorrectly sold a super-off-peak return from Reading to Redcar Central when I'd explained my itinerary would be arriving Kings Cross at 3:30pm (validity on the ticket wouldn't have let me leave at 3pm!).
True, as Reading is in the Network Area, so the ticket is unrestricted between Reading & London but restricted between London & Redcar.

Maybe the ticket clerks had recently transferred from somewhere like Swindon ;) A Super Off Peak Return from Swindon to Redcar would've been valid on any train out of King's Cross, as that's only restricted between Swindon & London.

So, what was the outcome?
 

leymoo

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2014
Messages
29
True, as Reading is in the Network Area, so the ticket is unrestricted between Reading & London but restricted between London & Redcar.

Maybe the ticket clerks had recently transferred from somewhere like Swindon ;) A Super Off Peak Return from Swindon to Redcar would've been valid on any train out of King's Cross, as that's only restricted between Swindon & London.

So, what was the outcome?

I by luck had arrived at King's Cross early so got on the last super off-peak train I could take on the ticket. But it meant rather than buying a leisurely cheapish lunch at the station I had to buy a not particularly nice cheese sandwich on board instead.

(Edit: Boring I know...)

On subsequent trips up there I had discovered the Grand Central trains were much nicer and planned my routes to use them, and changed at Eaglescliffe.
 
Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
However, there are a lot of retail and revenue staff who don't understand the concept of a restriction code.

If this is the case (and I've no reason to disbelieve you) then what on earth are they doing in retail/revenue environments? And what does that say about the training provided?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top