• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can the 375s and 377s work coupled to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

railwaytrack

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2022
Messages
254
Location
Pluckley
One question i have always wondered is can 375s and 377s work coupled to each other? If yes than are there any scheduled services where they operate coupled to each other? If no what exactly are the reasons? What are the major differences between these trains?

I have noticed that despite travelling on both of these trains regularly i have never seen them coupled to each other. But they are basically the same exact identical trains so i do not see why not. I know there are a few minor differences such as the 375s do not have DOO cameras but the 377s do have DOO cameras and also the 375s allow the Guard to use the door close buttons in the cabs but the door close buttons in the cabs on the 377s do not work and require ten bell despatch. There might also be a few other minor differences. But i can not see anything major that would prevent them from working coupled to each other so i have always been wondering this.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jturner98

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
320
Location
Kent
The answer is yes and no. They both have the same coupler which is a Delner coupler. However, they can’t work in passenger service together because of the MITRAC system on the units. They are permitted to work together on empty stock moves though.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
I thought the couplings were different, hence the different class numbers. Perhaps I am mistaken or misinformed.
The answer is yes and no. They both have the same coupler which is a Delner coupler. However, they can’t work in passenger service together because of the MITRAC system on the units. They are permitted to work together on empty stock moves though.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,397
I thought the couplings were different, hence the different class numbers. Perhaps I am mistaken or misinformed.
The Southern 375/3s became 377/3s with a change of coupler soon after they were introduced.

The Southeastern 375s stayed as 375s when their couplers were changed, which took place as the 375/8s and 375/9s were built.
 

aleggatta

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2015
Messages
566
As said above, it’s a yes and no, mainly because the process software goes through to formalise the compatibility hasn’t happened, and whilst both versions of software will have originated at the same point, the mods that have happened to each fleet are different and as such need proving compatible in what would effectively be a lab environment.

Also saves the potential issue of a 375 ending at selhurst and no driver being trained to drive it!
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,831
Location
SW London
I thought the couplings were different, hence the different class numbers. Perhaps I am mistaken or misinformed.
That was the reason Southern's 375s were reclassified as 377s, but South Eastern later changed their units' couplers as well, without reclassifying them. Whether there were any incompatibity issues on SET during the transition I don't know.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Yeh there used to be an unwritten rule that all members of a class should be compatible...

But theres nothing to say members of different classes cant also be compatible.

Then we have sub classes .....to make things more complicated lol
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
That was the reason Southern's 375s were reclassified as 377s, but South Eastern later changed their units' couplers as well, without reclassifying them. Whether there were any incompatibity issues on SET during the transition I don't know.
I didn't know before that Southeastern changed the couplers, too. Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top