Dai Corner
Established Member
- Joined
- 20 Jul 2015
- Messages
- 6,998
Fair comment. My RF theory is rather rustyI built an MSF receiver once, 1970s. It used a short ferrite rod antenna. That was directional. Same as an old-style portable AM radio.
Fair comment. My RF theory is rather rustyI built an MSF receiver once, 1970s. It used a short ferrite rod antenna. That was directional. Same as an old-style portable AM radio.
There's a pretty interesting video about this:A fascinating choice in this day and age - I struggle a bit* to read analog clocks and I think many people my age (early 20s) are the same.
(Presumably they do intend to provide both, but still, it seems like a lot of space for something fewer and fewer people will use.)
* I can do it! But it takes a few seconds to stop and think, whereas I can read a digital clock instantly. Certainly I wouldn’t be able to read one as I was rushing for a train!
Yeah, for sure. It does seem like a case of individual preferences going both ways, so public places should definitely have both. (I’m aware I sounded like I was arguing against that a moment ago! On further thought, both definitely makes sense.)There's a pretty interesting video about this:
Personally I think it'd be sad if analog clocks went away in public places. Although the competition doesn't strictly mandate anything - there are examples of digital clocks in the accompanying materials.
Except stations managed by London Overground, where the scheduled departure time of the train is a closely guarded secret. Their screens are utterly useless.Digital time is important because all the train times on information screens are in this format - I can't see it being either practicable or acceptable to show miniature clock faces alongside each departure! It's also easier to tell the time to the individual minute or second - important for railways but not possible with an analogue clock face unless you're pretty close to it. As mentioned, analogue helps people get a quick approximate impression of the time, and is useful to people who don't quite get the 24-hour clock, but I'd say it was secondary in a railway station.
Victoria line station clocks have been weird for ages. Vauxhall was consistently a few minutes out for the best part of a year.As an aside, I noticed that the clock showing on the platform PIS at Brixton underground yesterday was five minutes out...
If as usual your Anthorn radio controlled clock synchronises to the transmitter once a day or once hourly it matters not whether it can receive the signal inside a train. But since it moved from Rugby to Anthorn some years ago the signal strength down here in the south is now much less and you don't need much to block it - putting the clock next to a desk top computer or whatever usually kills them.
Even Solari (yes, that Solari) have got on board with NTP nowAs others have said, I think that surely in this day and age it makes far more sense to use Network Time Protocol, which is many times more accurate than radio frequency, and also allows for DST correction.
Try the Harrison H4 chronometer ????I used to have a DCF-receiving watch and I could never get it to receive the signal from Frankfurt while on an electric (OLE) railway in London. I tried an MSF-receiving clock on Wednesday night at Waltham Cross station but no luck - even taking the clock a significant distance across the adjacent field wouldn't pick up the signal from Cumbria. Thinking that being practically at sea level might be part of the problem, I then tried reception on a station on the Hertford Loop with instant success, but since the trains were bustituted on Wednesday night, the OLE on the Hertford Loop might have been switched off.
The reason it matters is because there is currently a competition to design a clock for the railway, and the competition advice does not specify how the time will be received - if MSF is not receivable on electric railways and internet time sources are intrinsically laggy, how would one set the time on a railway clock?
Sound like a faulty master clock wherever it’s located rather than anything to do with the Anthorn signal etcVictoria line station clocks have been weird for ages. Vauxhall was consistently a few minutes out for the best part of a year.
As others have said, I think that surely in this day and age it makes far more sense to use Network Time Protocol, which is many times more accurate than radio frequency, and also allows for DST correction.
I agree that NTP is usually the better choice, but it is not always more accurate. MSF/DCF will always be slow by the time the radio signal takes to propagate. NTP can be better, it can be worse. It depends on the variability of propagtion delays within the network. Where NTP is especially good is over a carefully designed and managed private network. MSF/DCF are liable to be better than using NTP over the public internet.As others have said, I think that surely in this day and age it makes far more sense to use Network Time Protocol, which is many times more accurate than radio frequency
MSF/DCF will always be slow by the time the radio signal takes to propagate.
As the signal travels at 186,000 miles per second, it's not really significant.But for a fixed site you just need a fixed correction, and you can work it out from the map.
Of course having a carrier frequency of only 60kHz does limit your ultimate precision a bit![]()
True. I tried and failed to find an MSF/DCF receiver which offers this correction. That is not the same as saying none exist (or once existed).But for a fixed site you just need a fixed correction, and you can work it out from the map.
Exactly. MSF/DCF and NTP accuracy is usually quoted in milliseconds. The inherent accuracy of a GPS clock is usually quoted in tens of nanoseconds.If you want real accuracy, GPS time is derived from atomic clocks on board the satellites and correcting for the propagation delays to the receiver is an inherent part of the position calculation.
We could do worse than emulate the Swiss railway clock, which has become a design classic in its own right. I have a Mondaine watch with that face, and it's quite often recognised even by people who haven't travelled on Swiss trains. Presumably that actual design is copyrighted though.Still, I just like themThey're like public art.
And the competition does seem a bit more about art than practicality (though I like that - why can't be have nicely designed things at our stations rather than everything being cost reduced to nothing.... rant over)
It's a trademark owned by SBB, which they protect with some vigour (as Apple found out to their cost in 2012).Presumably that actual design is copyrighted though.
Just an FYI, TOCWatch usually has a toggle setting for DST on/off/autoMy TOC watch is supposedly radio controlled but doesn’t change when the clocks go back/forward.
