• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can private parties override reservations?

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,207
Location
Liverpool
I apologise if the title is confusing, so I'll try to explain this as best I can. It's a question more of curiosity than assistance.

Recently I took a train booked through the Forum ticketing site and with a seat reservation of my choice. However when I was about to board the train I was informed that a private party had booked out some of the carriage and was advised to move to the unreserved coach. The staff member was quite surprised though because apparently they didn't have my reservation down and they took a picture of my ticket for this reason; either that or my reservation was overridden.

Now to be clear, this wasn't really a huge inconvenience for me because I still got the same kind of seat I was after, and it was an uneventful journey, so I have no ill-will towards the staff whatsoever.

However it did leave me thinking because I've never known an individual seat reservation to be possibly be missed, or even overridden by a private party. So while I'm not seeking to do anything now, I do think it might be helpful to know a bit more in future about these kind of situations. I did wonder if it had something to do with booking it through the forums but my return journey reservation was active.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

endecotp

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
353

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,620
Location
Warks
The staff member was quite surprised though because apparently they didn't have my reservation down and they took a picture of my ticket for this reason; either that or my reservation was overridden.
It's possible the reservation was changed after purchase by the operator. Historically this wasn't properly communicated to retailers (which meant passengers couldn't be told...) but there has been some movement in this area.

If you want, one of the Raileasy people can double check what's in the reservation system (DM your booking ref) and we can see if it got changed or not - and also confirm it was definitely a real reservation, staff comments aside!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
It can happen. I have travelled on the train with, variously and on seperate occasions, Manchester City FC, the Israeli Amabassador (+ extensive security), a Chancellor of the Exchequer, and a Prime Minister. All had a whole coach to themselves with security on the doors. And all were on medium to busy trains. There’s no way that there weren’t some regular reservations in those coaches before the arrangements were made for the block booking, so some passengers must have been ‘bumped’.

I only found out who I was travelling with during or after the journey.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,207
Location
Liverpool
Okay so surprisingly this is definitely not an unknown, I've just been lucky enough to avoid it until now (and even luckier to have not been so massively inconvenienced by it).

If you want, one of the Raileasy people can double check what's in the reservation system (DM your booking ref) and we can see if it got changed or not - and also confirm it was definitely a real reservation, staff comments aside!
Just to make sure, is this an offer to DM you about it, or is this just general advice? Forgive me if that seems like a daft question.

I only found out who I was travelling with during or after the journey.
I never did find out, but there was a police escort outside Euston when I got off the train. At first I thought it might've been the Prime Minister but I doubt he's traveling in Standard even from the north. :lol:
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Okay so surprisingly this is definitely not an unknown, I've just been lucky enough to avoid it until now (and even luckier to have not been so massively inconvenienced by it).


Just to make sure, is this an offer to DM you about it, or is this just general advice? Forgive me if that seems like a daft question.


I never did find out, but there was a police escort outside Euston when I got off the train. At first I thought it might've been the Prime Minister but I doubt he's traveling in Standard even from the north. :lol:

Depends what sort of police escort. 4+ plain white bikes then that’s the PM.
 

Top