Has there every been any examples of heritage and preserved railways being taken over by national rail?.
I mean if I was NR and I wanted to use a specific line for NR passenger services would it be easy for me to do such a thing? Could they have a compulsory purchase order to take over the line?
It's something that came to my head, seeing as there are some heritage railways which are connected to the mainlines of the national rail network.
I think the cost of buying out a preserved line would be quite high and only justifiable if there is a great need that cannot be met any other way.
I can not think of any examples where this might happen. Although there are several preserved lines where a commuter service might be desirable, I can't think of any where it would be any more than just desirable.
If a nuclear power station were to be built and it was essential that the waste be transported out by train the probably the preserved line would be happy to oblige by allowing such trains to run over their metals provided appropriate compensation were given. Most heritage lines want all the money they can get and of course such workings would attract photographers anyway.
There are some examples where heritage routes have sought out freight operators to run regular services over their lines as a revue raising exercise. However freight is unlikely to be so dense it would justify the exclusive use or purchase of the line.
However the world is always changing....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have seen the NYMR indicated on maps as being part of the National Rail network.