• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I re-route with an Advance Single & a missed connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter166

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
249
Location
NW
I have an Advance Single from Paddington to Trowbridge via Swindon. The 14.15 from Paddington arrives Swindon 1508.
The Connection departs Swindon 1515 (via Melksham) & arrives Trowbridge 1550.
What if this 7mins connection is missed?
The next train via Melksham is at 1735
over 2 hours later.
Plan B - Can I travel from Swindon to Trowbridge via Bath?
This would give an arrival at Trowbridge at 1624 (just 35 mins late as opposed to 1808 or 138mins late !! )
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bkhtele

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2009
Messages
550
Location
Swindon
I am sure that would be ok, otherwise you would be entitled to delay repay a 4 hrs delay 100% refund. Just talk to the guard/train manager. You are entitled to travel on the next GWR service
 

peter166

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
249
Location
NW
17 July 2025
14.15 Cardiff train
I have contacted GWR customer service. They gave an odd reply saying that it would be more than likely that the train from London would be on time at Swindon and that the "maximum" time for a connection at Swindon was 5mins when I think they meant 'minimum' and as I would have 7 mins it is a recognised connection ! They were non-committal about what to do if the connection was missed and did not say whether travelling via Bath would be allowed.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
Your Advance ticket will either be routed "AP Swindon" or "GWR only", so neither rules out going via Bath. Travelling via Bath is also a permitted route from London to Trowbridge.

Accordingly, I see no reason why you could not travel via Bath in the event of missing the connection at Swindon. The Advance ticket terms and conditions don't require you to take the same route as your original booked one in the event of disruption - you are simply told to take the 'next available train', which I would interpret as covering both the quicker option via Bath and the direct option. You could claim for Delay Repay based on your actual arrival time in either case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top