• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I exit the fare gates at Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

eden1230

New Member
Joined
16 Jun 2024
Messages
2
Location
Lan
I am traveling from Barnes to Cooksbridge but want to break my journey at Victoria.

I've put "via Victoria" on Trainline and ended up with a Barnes to Cooksbridge off-peak day return. My Trainline itinerary shows me going to and from Victoria as expected.

My concern is that with my ticket the logical route would just be to stay at Clapham Junction, going to Victoria will involve backtracking. (and that gate staff Victoria will have none of it)

So my question is, can I get in and out of gates at Victoria, or did I get screwed by trainline:rolleyes:?

The specific ticket in question: https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=BNS&dest=CBR&rlc=YNG&ldn=1&tkt=CDR
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
If the ticket is
+ANY PERMITTED
(which is the one you show)
and not
NOT VIA LONDON
then, yes, you can go via and exit at Victoria.

Your ticket also includes a leg on the underground between London terminals, if appropriate for your journey. You could go to Waterloo first, for example, but you don’t have to.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
The ticket has a Maltese cross on, meaning it's valid for London Underground connections between terminals (Waterloo to Victoria probably being the most obvious route in this case). That means there is no obligation to change at Clapham Junction, even though it might be easier or quicker. The cheaper "NOT VIA LONDON" tickets would require you to change at Clapham Junction though. Your ticket is valid at Victoria and shouldn't cause any problems - the Maltese Cross is the key piece of evidence for that.
 

eden1230

New Member
Joined
16 Jun 2024
Messages
2
Location
Lan
Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

Good to know it would have been valid on the tube as well, though I got an e-ticket so I'll have to stick to the Clapham Junction to Victoria National Rail route.

Any idea if the fare gates at Victoria will let me out without issue or will I have to talk to gate staff:|?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

Good to know it would have been valid on the tube as well, though I got an e-ticket so I'll have to stick to the Clapham Junction to Victoria National Rail route.
An e-ticket has exactly the same validity as a paper one, so if you want you can go via Vauxhall or Waterloo - though I can't see the point :)
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

Good to know it would have been valid on the tube as well, though I got an e-ticket so I'll have to stick to the Clapham Junction to Victoria National Rail route.

Any idea if the fare gates at Victoria will let me out without issue or will I have to talk to gate staff:|?
Ticket gates can sometimes be a law unto themselves, but I'd expect this ticket to open the barrier without any issues
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top