• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I excess to a TOC specific ticket after completing the outbound journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XmaX

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
85
I commute Cambridge-London daily, normally with a a regular off-peak day return which costs me £18.85 with a railcard, and then walk to work near Euston. However, on days when I need to use tube in London for whatever reason, I instead get the GA-only off-peak day Z1-6 travelcard for £19 (recent price increase from £16.60).

Right now, I'm on a Thameslink train to STP and realised I might have to do some journeys within London and a thought occurred to me - can I potentially excess my ticket to the travelcard, after already completing my outbound journey? I'm assuming no, but wouldn't mind being surprised!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
Right now, I'm on a Thameslink train to STP and realised I might have to do some journeys within London and a thought occurred to me - can I potentially excess my ticket to the travelcard, after already completing my outbound journey?
Might be worth mentioning that TOC and route restrictions only apply to outboundary Travelcards outside of the Travelcard area - you can use Thameslink services in Zones 1-6, just not between Hadley Wood and Cambridge.

I don’t believe you can excess from a TOC only restriction in any case.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
I commute Cambridge-London daily, normally with a a regular off-peak day return which costs me £18.85 with a railcard, and then walk to work near Euston. However, on days when I need to use tube in London for whatever reason, I instead get the GA-only off-peak day Z1-6 travelcard for £19 (recent price increase from £16.60).

Right now, I'm on a Thameslink train to STP and realised I might have to do some journeys within London and a thought occurred to me - can I potentially excess my ticket to the travelcard, after already completing my outbound journey? I'm assuming no, but wouldn't mind being surprised!
You cannot excess to a Travelcard, and you cannot excess to a GA only ticket after using another TOC to travel.
 

XmaX

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
85
You cannot excess to a Travelcard, and you cannot excess to a GA only ticket after using another TOC to travel.
Yeah, that's exactly what I assumed, thanks.

Is there any particular reason why you cannot excess to a day travelcard though?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,793
Location
UK
Yeah, that's exactly what I assumed, thanks.

Is there any particular reason why you cannot excess to a day travelcard though?
Because there are no procedures to do so, and there is no entitlement to do so under the NRCoT.

It's different to, for instance, travelling via London on a not via London ticket. In that case, the NRCoT give you the right to just pay the excess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top