I think it depends on the frequency in the clockface. The current setup with a largely hourly repeating pattern is pretty decent, with Reading - Birmingham half hourly (well, before the plague anyway) and hourly continuations to Manchester and York.On another matter, what do people think about the Virgin style of "clockface between nodes, but alternating destinations" versus the current pattern?
The Virgin style involved clockface services between nodes (say Reading and Birmingham) but then services might swap onto other routes. For example from Southampton I remember a 4-hourly pattern Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow/Newcastle, but you had a regular hourly service as far as Birmingham.
This seemed a good compromise between simple clockface timings and offering a range of through journeys to different destinations, and I have to admit I quite liked it. Certainly from an enthusiast POV it was much more interesting and it did also mean that through services to more far-flung destinations were offered throughout the day, albeit at lower frequency.
I seem to remember Deutsche Bahn operated something a bit like this in 2009-14 (no idea about now, I mention those years as I visited regularly in this period), there might be an hourly service between two "nodes" (large city Hbf stations) but the ultimate destinations varied depending on the hour.
I wonder if it'd be more or less successful if they simplified to half hourly Reading - Manchester (with hourly continuations to Bournemouth) and half hourly Bristol - Newcastle with extensions either end.