Once again thanks for all your excellent replies. We both enjoyed our trip to London and rode on quite a few trains whilst there.
We made regular journeys between our hotel in Borehamwood and central London on the Thameslink class 319's and the Northern Line from Kentish Town.
Was kind of looking forward to trying out the 319's since they're supposed to be getting cascaded to us in 4 years time after our Liverpool - Manchester line gets electryfied. I have to say that apart from their quick acceleration (like all EMU's) I was rather unimpressed by their interiors they seemed no greater than a glorified electrical Sprinter! Let's hope they get a good refurb before we get them as comfort wise I'd sooner stick with the 156's which we currently have!
LU wise we met up with my London based auntie and uncle Sunday before last and went for a meal in the Nando's in the new restaurant complex outside Euston station. After the meal we walked them down to Euston Victoria Line. Dylan (my son) wanted to get straight on the underground there and then but I wanted to go on the Metropolitan Line instead so we came back up and made the short walk to Euston Square.
From Euston Square we took a Metropolitan Line train to Aldgate where we jumped another back in the opposite direction until we saw what we "thought" was a south bound Jubilee Line train at Wembley Park only to find ourselves further north at Kingsley where we, after a desperate wander for a public loo, caught another Jubilee Line train back down to Finchley Road then changed back to the Metropolitan Line one stop to Baker Street en route to Bank and the DLR via the Jubille and Central Lines.
As expected Dylan loved the DLR. The first train we got on had a "driver" which initaially disapointed him until he found out she was only there to do the doors! We made sure we sat at either the very front or back of the DLR trains and travelled as far as Canning Town then made our way back to Tower Gateway.
It's certainly an experience getting a "drivers eye" view whilst travelling on those trains. Riding through the tunnels I thought I was the Firestarter! (Prodigy song).
Presumably Tower Hill LU was only round the corner I thought but could we find it anywhere, no. It was getting late by this time and we followed another family, who claimed to know the way to Tower Hill, round to Fenchurch Street who's staff told us they didn't operate any connections back to Borehamwood. Eventually we made our way back to Tower Gateway and made a connection back to Bank then back home to Borehamwood.
The following day, Monday, was Legoland day. To be honest we were both dissapointed by Legoland and even Dylan, who is only seven and dislikes scary fairground rides, thought the place was babyish!
The best moment of the entire trip came on the way back from Slough to Paddington where we rode on a FGW MK3(?) pulled by a loco. I've been telling Dylan for a long time about the old slam door trains. God I've been missing those babies myself ever since I was his age when ours got taken away and replaced by pathetic Pacers (yeah yeah I know - the avater's just a love-hate thing btw!). Needless to say we wound the door window right down and stuck both our heads out virtually all the way back to Paddington! The leather seats in First class also went down well too!
The last full day of our trip, Tuesday, we went to the Transport museum in Covent Garden. It was OK and the side shows were good but I was expecting there to be more vehicles on display and Dylan was rather disapointed that most vehicles denied public access beyond the foot plates. Though getting his card franked at the 12 different stamp machines kept him entertained!
Following the Transport museum we made our way to Pizza Hell in Fulham Broadway for the Tuesday night all you can eat pizza for £6. Was really good and would recommend it.
Overall a very enjoyable trip and he already wants to go back again. BTW where are all these suppossed "Mind the Gap" stations?
OK maybe the wrong section to ask, but when we go back again we'd really like to catch a few slammers if possible. Don't care whether they are EMU, DMU are pulled by a loco or whatever, just as long as they have a door with a wind down window - that goes slam! Is Paddington and the FGW the only place to catch these anymore?