• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone make my Horsforth to Birmingham trip more interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
I'm leaving Horsforth today at 12:35 or 13:05 for Birmingham where I'm working tomorrow and Wednesday, I just wondered if anyone could suggest a way to make this journey more interesting from either a route or rolling stock perspective. I don't know if I can bare a cramped Cross Country Voyager on a hot day for a 2 hour journey that I find slightly boring anyway.

I'm not paying for the ticket so if it costs a little more to go via somewhere then that should be fine. I return Thursday afternoon / evening.

All helpful suggestions appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,510
Location
Cheshire
I'm leaving Horsforth today at 12:35 or 13:05 for Birmingham where I'm working tomorrow and Wednesday, I just wondered if anyone could suggest a way to make this journey more interesting from either a route or rolling stock perspective. I don't know if I can bare a cramped Cross Country Voyager on a hot day for a 2 hour journey that I find slightly boring anyway.

I'm not paying for the ticket so if it costs a little more to go via somewhere then that should be fine. I return Thursday afternoon / evening.

All helpful suggestions appreciated!

What about going via Manchester if you are not paying? At least it breaks up the journey a wee bit & gives a varity of stock to travel on? Not sure how much more it will cost mind, but willl probably take around 45-60 minutes longer than directly allowing for the change @ Manchester.
 

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
Thanks mate, I'm running late as usual. Looking like the 14:11 Leeds to Brum :( If I go via Manc it's still a Voyager and as I'm already late, I think i'll stick with the boring....
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Not much variation in terms of stock on the direct-ish route I'm afraid - 220s, 221s, 222s, 170s, and possibly some Sprinters. If you are really lucky you can do Notts - Leicester on an HST.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
...I don't know if I can bare [some words missing here?] a cramped Cross Country Voyager on a hot day for a 2 hour journey that I find slightly boring anyway.

If you are going to bare something it might at least make the journey a bit cooler for you and possibly more interesting for the other passengers. :D

OK, it's not all that helpful a suggestion.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I guess you could use these timings.

14:35 Horsforth-Leeds 14:48 (Northern something or other)
15:05 Leeds-Nottingham 17:00 (Northern 158)
17:32 Nottingham-Leicester 17:59 (East Midlands HST)
18:18 Leicester-Birmingham New Street 19:13. (Cross Country 170)
 

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
I ended up going Horsforth to Leeds & Leeds to Sheffield with Northern. Then Sheffield to Derby with EMT, and the last bit with Cross Country. I was at Leeds for the 15:11 Cross Country and it was only 4 coaches, 1 first class empty, 3 standard class rammed and standing room only. Bugger that I thought!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top