• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone ID this Photo for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
Hi,

My Mother was going through some old photo's and came across this one of her Father and is intrigued to find out where it was taken.

My Grandfather died when my Mother was just 11 so obviously I never knew him and my Mother only has a limited recollection of what he did. Although she does know that he worked for Southern Railways.

The best guess that we can come up with was that it was probably taken as a 'Works Photo' outside of the Lovers Walk sheds in Brighton, and looking at the clothing we are assuming somewhere around the 1940's or 50's?

I realise there is not much to go on - just some shed doors and a few rails, but if anyone does think they can confirm it was Brighton (or anywhere else!) we would be most grateful.

WHydgIm_y6cGvh9jQntAd8C7LZntcF7mglhBYId6vE8


Link to photo (sorry, it doesn't seem to want to embed!)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bus man

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
155
I would have a dig on the net and try to find any threads or sites for retired staff at the location you think it is , then take it from there
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
If I were a betting man I would say that this photograph was taken prior to ww2.
The reason for this being that some of the Gentlemen appear to be sporting 'toothbrush' style mustaches, which if my grandfather is correct became taboo in the late 30's (1938 - 39??) Mr Hitler saw to that.
But the reason I would put no money on that supposition is because the haircuts look to be from a later period than the 30's and the mustaches may be shadows, due to the angle of the light.
I could also be hopelessly wide of the mark.
 

John55

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2011
Messages
800
Location
South East
Can I suggest you also consider the photo may be taken at the Lancing Carriage works. I don't have a good enough photo of the works to confirm it but the presence of a traverser in the foreground suggests a large facility and the guys in the photo look a bit too smart for a locomotive depot or works.
 

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
Guys,

Thanks for all your replies (especially to Mark for embedding the photo!).

Also, John55 thanks for the suggestion of Lancing - that is certainly a possibility.

Cheers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top