• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge to Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

otter11

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2016
Messages
133
Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong place for this...

Does anyone know the times when the 379s run on the route from Cambridge to Liverpool Street? You get power sockets and wifi, and they are generally more comfortable imo than the 317s. For a day out it would be nice to plan to get on a 379...

Many thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47421

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2012
Messages
686
Location
london
if you look on real time trains detailed operational info some services are shown Class 317 others EMU. The ones shown as EMU are usually 379s.

The 3 peak 12 car services are always 379s, being Mon - Fri 0647 0717 0747 Camb Liv St and 1707 1737 1807 Liv St Camb. Using RTT you can track through the diagrams to see which off peak services form these
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
There was a list posted this forum a while back as I had a copy of it. I don't anymore. But if it helps, the 16:40 off Cambs is a 12 coach working ready to form the 18:07, and its formed of an 8 and 4 car working that leave Liverpool Street I think at 14:28 and 14:58? Either way, thats part of the diagram jigsaw if you can work it out.
 

johnnyp_360

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2011
Messages
108
Location
Soham, Ely
Are the 379s more expensive to run? I often see them on sidings at Cambridge not in service. I'm hardly ever lucky enough to board one. I often just get stuck with an old 317 making any journey along the WAML.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
I don't know. I know the balance of the fleet is obviously the StanEx. I think, and don't quote me on this, an 8 car hot spare sits at Orient Way all day, I think 6 units are on Cambridge, running around as two 8 coach and two 4 coach (which come together to make two of the 12 carriage peak runs), and the remaining few are in the depot for servicing/maintenance. They may be doing this while in Cambridge depot, but I know Cambridge depot is more light maintenance/stabling and the heavy work would get done in Ilford. Either way I agree. I wish they'd've stuck another seven or eight units on the order and then 317's could've been banished from the CBG-LST runs altogether.

Actually, having a think, I think maybe a 12 coach sits in Cambridge depot all day and a 4 and an 8 coach run round. Then a 12 coach comes from the depot to run down to London, followed by the 8 and then the 4, which join up in platform 8 and run as the 16:40 to London (a particularly favourite service of mine as it runs fast). I think that this might be correct, as it would leave a few to be at Ilford.
 
Last edited:

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
I don't know.......

You should have stopped there ;)

Simplistically:
30 units in fleet
18 Stansted Express diagrams
9 Cambridge diagrams
3 maintenance spares (due to the high milage) at Ilford.

Off peak 3 Mon-Fri in Orient Way for internal heavy cleaning, without which the fleet would soon look shabby. 6 running around on Cambridge workings as a mix of 4 or 8 car.

Splitting and attaching only happens at Cambridge, not Liverpool St. As suggested, have a go at working out the diagrams from Real Time Trains.
 
Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,919
Haha it was a very sketchy educated guess! Thanks for clarifying it though, as a Cambridge resident and a huge Electrostar fan, I like to find out more about the 379 fleet!
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
The timing load in the LB working timetable, which should be available on the Network Rail website with a bit of searching, is the best clue. If it shows 379 it is diagrammed for one, unless special events such as Spurs football change the diagrams.
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,662
Liverpool Street to Cambridge in RTT shows 379s as EMUs as where as 317s are specified in the timing load as 317s :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top