• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambrian coast - Avanti off peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainpp

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
7
Location
Wales
Hi,

I have travelled from Welshpool to Euston for many years now, using an off-peak ticket with the VJ restriction code: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/VJ I have two questions about this restriction that I'd like to get some guidance on:

- My jounrey has involved travelling on the 08:50 from Birmingham New Street to Euston which stops at Euston at around 10.15 (it has varied a few minutes over the years). At some point over the COVID this train was re-timetabled to stop at Watford Junction - when previously it didn't. I consider the VJ restrictions now ambiguous given the stop at Watford, as the outward restriction says

Not valid on trains timed to arrive:

  • London Euston after 04:29 until 10:00;(Restrictions do not apply on Fridays)
  • Milton Keynes Central after 04:29 until 10:20;(Restrictions do not apply on Fridays)
  • Watford Junction after 04:29 until 10:20;(Restrictions do not apply on Fridays)
I.e. it could be construed that my ticket isn't valid because I'm travelling on a train that stops at Watford at 10:00 (before 10.20), although it arrives at Euston after 10:00, and I'm going to Euston. Is there any definitive position on whether the restriction applies or not? (Avanti's website is more than happy to sell me an off-peak ticket with a reservation on the 08:50 so most of the time I consider this moot - but sometimes I travel without a reservation).


- Also, on my train home from Euston today the train manager said this "loop" (I assume he mean loophole) would be closed "very soon" (he refused to elaborate - just emphasised "very soon"). Does anyone have any additional information?

Thanks,
Piers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That difference is odd, it's almost the wrong way round!

Provided you are travelling to Euston then you are fine, and any ticket sold against an itinerary is valid for that itinerary anyway whether it should have been or not. The wording of those restrictions is awful.

I suspect the time at Euston is anomalous, and the guard means they'll make that 1000 a bit later.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
I've been having the issue with Avanti for months. I thought it might be to do with the flooded section and buses confusing the system and still cannot now its fixed.
But I still cannot book a service on Saturday as I cannot proceed to continue to pay without selecting a seat reservations which are unavailable.
I won't even travel back on that service as I can catch an earlier one but they only show the shortest connection time. Trainsplit only shows a West Midland return(same price as avanti) who I do not want as it's too close a connection and a service that I don't fancy.

And further I cannot buy a paper card ticket to allow me through London so need to use and pay by card through London because of the barriers on the Underground not accepting mobile or Guard sold tickets.

UPDATE
I bought it of TFW who let you proceed without having to reserving a seat on preferred service . I only could book an earlier return train It's accepted on Avanti. It just means walking and hope to find an unreserved seat coming back or hoping the whole train is just unreservable
Shame they do this and still cannot fathom why.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It'll be because the service is "fully booked". If you don't care for reservations, just pick any other train and use the ticket on the service you wish to use.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Upda
It'll be because the service is "fully booked". If you don't care for reservations, just pick any other train and use the ticket on the service you wish to use.
The problem is the itinerary on avanti will only give the nearest connection trains. There are three services in-between which are preferable but create a longer wait at International. I'd have to pick them out separately as Euston to International ticket
The 18:23 has available seats on the return if I select Birmingham to Euston this service will not show as it's in between the expected itinerary.
I don't believe the 18:40 is truly fully booked as it doesn't matter which Saturday quiet ones or busier tried its not allowed a seat for months regard.

In the past I've booked a seat reservation on the 18:40 just to get the ticket but always travel on an earlier service as I prefer a longer connection time or travel on the Shrewsbury Avanti. They have never been busy. A lot of reservations but no passengers.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Use Trainsplit's new version (or trainscanbecheaper), and fiddle with the connection times so you can get an Off Peak. Then ignore the booked Avanti service and use a different one.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
I only get the full journey with trainsplit no splits. It also only shows West Midlands' return. I managed to get TFW to book the ticket but I guess it's because there was seats available at 16:40.
I'm also certain the issue has got something to do with my TFW portion not doing reservations anymore. As it used to be easier when they did.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Interesting if I book Euston to Birmingham only it allows me to book a seat. So why is it full if I put in a different destination on exactly the same train?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It'll be because the service is "fully booked". If you don't care for reservations, just pick any other train and use the ticket on the service you wish to use.
It's not though I just looked too see if booking a ticket from Euston - New St allowed seat reservation and it did. And done the same New St to Shrewsbury, seats are availble and of your choice.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top