• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarife

New Member
Joined
20 Nov 2010
Messages
2
When I travel from London to Belfast via Stranraer on a Rail & Sail ticket I travel during the day. However, I read on another thread in this forum Are Sail Rail tickets valid on the Caledonian Sleeper? that it may be possible to use a Rail & Sail ticket on the Sleeper train.

I believe this may be possible due to the fact that the Rail & Sail ticket says 'any route permitted'. I'm interested in the idea because I'm trying to save money, so would be happy using the seated area of the Sleeper. The other thread mentions that you have to reserve a seat with ScotRail in advance, but I'm assuming that booking doesn't include paying in this case.

It all seems a bit too good to be true, given that a Rail & Sail ticket from London to Belfast only costs c. £40.

So, does anyone have specific experience of phoning ScotRail to reserve a seat using an 'any route permitted' ticket?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
So, does anyone have specific experience of phoning ScotRail to reserve a seat using an 'any route permitted' ticket?
Yes, if you have an Any Permitted (or similar, e.g. Route Penrith/Route Carlisle) ticket and book on a popular service (e.g. a Friday night) then they may tell you that the quota of reservations is sold out (I assume that some seats are not counted when it comes to allocating revenue through ORCATS - otherwise there's a fiddle going on!) and you may need a Scotrail Only ticket to get a reservation in such a case. Book early and you shouldn't have a problem.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I started the thread asking if the sleeper could be used with Sail Rail tickets, and as well as the usual invaluable advice from Yorkie I rang up ScotRail and asked. I took care to point out that the Dublin version of the ticket was an economy and not a SOS/SOR, and they said 'no problem' but advised booking early to avoid disappointment.. If I wanted to book a berth it would be £38, and if I wanted to book a seat it was free :)
 

Jarife

New Member
Joined
20 Nov 2010
Messages
2
Thank you both. I now have the confidence to phone ScotRail and look forward to trying this!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top