Hi everyone,
Let me start by saying I am fully aware that what has happened is wrong and it will never happen again- he has bought the correct ticket ever since. Long story short, I have been unwell, we fell on really bad financial issues this year as have many people and to try and combat this my partner has been buying a shorter monthly season ticket than the journey he was actually doing. Stupid I know and by no means a sob story, but the train is his only way of getting to work and we just did not have the funds, it seemed like a short term solution idiotically- again I am aware this is no excuse please don't attack me!
My partner was stopped last week and questioned, told that they know he has been doing it for a while and took his details.
I am really just looking for advice and experience from other people. We haven't received a letter yet, how long does this usually take?
I'm not silly and I know that he is likely heading for prosecution which I am terrified will ruin my partners job.
How likely is an out of court settlement and how do they work out what the fine is as we don't exactly have thousands of pounds to spare- we have managed to save up 600 but we know that is highly unlikely to cover it I would imagine 5 months of travel is going to be thousands. However, we are willing to do whatever possible to avoid the prosecution and will ask a family member if we absolutely have to.
I can't sleep at night with the worry and I just really would like a bit of advice or a timeline of what is likely to happen here- I have seen conflicting advice of writing letters to the rail companies etc. how long he will be waiting before getting a letter? will it just be straight to court due to the length of the fare evasion etc? What happens in court? What would a fine be? I am sorry for rambling on I am just absolutely petrified for him and for our financial state at the moment.
Thank you in advance x
Let me start by saying I am fully aware that what has happened is wrong and it will never happen again- he has bought the correct ticket ever since. Long story short, I have been unwell, we fell on really bad financial issues this year as have many people and to try and combat this my partner has been buying a shorter monthly season ticket than the journey he was actually doing. Stupid I know and by no means a sob story, but the train is his only way of getting to work and we just did not have the funds, it seemed like a short term solution idiotically- again I am aware this is no excuse please don't attack me!
My partner was stopped last week and questioned, told that they know he has been doing it for a while and took his details.
I am really just looking for advice and experience from other people. We haven't received a letter yet, how long does this usually take?
I'm not silly and I know that he is likely heading for prosecution which I am terrified will ruin my partners job.
How likely is an out of court settlement and how do they work out what the fine is as we don't exactly have thousands of pounds to spare- we have managed to save up 600 but we know that is highly unlikely to cover it I would imagine 5 months of travel is going to be thousands. However, we are willing to do whatever possible to avoid the prosecution and will ask a family member if we absolutely have to.
I can't sleep at night with the worry and I just really would like a bit of advice or a timeline of what is likely to happen here- I have seen conflicting advice of writing letters to the rail companies etc. how long he will be waiting before getting a letter? will it just be straight to court due to the length of the fare evasion etc? What happens in court? What would a fine be? I am sorry for rambling on I am just absolutely petrified for him and for our financial state at the moment.
Thank you in advance x
Last edited: