I have a Travelcard Season and was looking at Anytime Day Return (Route: Not Gatwick Express) fares to Gatwick Airport [GTW] for a trip that is likely to be morning peak both ways. I was pleased to find that with my Travelcard I could purchase a Boundary Zone [BZ]2 - GTW ticket for £24.10 and save 10p compared with London Bridge [LBG] - GTW for £24.20. Then I remembered that my Travelcard was actually for Z1-3 rather than Z1-2, so I gleefully looked up BZ3-GTW expecting to save at least another 10p, but instead was horrified to find that it was more expensive, at £24.20 again! (The price of the equivalent point-to-point ticket from any station in Z1-4 on the route is the same, £24.20.)
Are there any other examples of Boundary Zone fares where a longer journey from a lesser zone is cheaper than a shorter journey from a greater zone (for the exact same type of ticket)?
What do our esteemed fares experts think about combining a Z1-3 Travelcard with a BZ2 - GTW ticket? Could a conscientious inspector argue that a BZ2 ticket explicitly extends a Zones x-2 Travelcard, so is not valid to extend a Z1-3 Travelcard (much like it wouldn't extend e.g. a LBG - Sydenham (Z3) single nor be valid on its own starting short from Sydenham, or would it?)? The question is likely moot anyway, assuming the Oyster PAYG extension fares for BZ3 - GTW are given by the standard calculation (can anyone confirm this?), namely equal to the fare from a Z4 station such as Penge West, £11.00/£8.10, in which case I'll be better off just using PAYG.
Are there any other examples of Boundary Zone fares where a longer journey from a lesser zone is cheaper than a shorter journey from a greater zone (for the exact same type of ticket)?
What do our esteemed fares experts think about combining a Z1-3 Travelcard with a BZ2 - GTW ticket? Could a conscientious inspector argue that a BZ2 ticket explicitly extends a Zones x-2 Travelcard, so is not valid to extend a Z1-3 Travelcard (much like it wouldn't extend e.g. a LBG - Sydenham (Z3) single nor be valid on its own starting short from Sydenham, or would it?)? The question is likely moot anyway, assuming the Oyster PAYG extension fares for BZ3 - GTW are given by the standard calculation (can anyone confirm this?), namely equal to the fare from a Z4 station such as Penge West, £11.00/£8.10, in which case I'll be better off just using PAYG.