• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying TfL travelcards on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
It makes sense though, it wouldn't work if you issued a Z1-2 Travelcard with Richmond as the originating station for example, as Richmond is in Z4, so you issue it from Clapham Junction instead which is inside the zones that the Travelcard covers.

I was going more for the suggestion that not issuing from London Terminals was random. I buy all my Travelcards online from Penge Stations. I don't know why :)
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
b) the outermost National Rail station within the required zones on the same line of route as the issuing station, e.g. customer at Feltham requests a Zones 1-3 Travelcard season, use origin ‘North Sheen’

Hmm, that is providing that the passenger already holds a vaild ticket to travel between Feltham and Boundary Zone 3? (or Zone 4 as Z1-3 TravelCard doesn't really exist!)

Zones 1-3 Travelcard season does exist.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
I was going more for the suggestion that not issuing from London Terminals was random. I buy all my Travelcards online from Penge Stations. I don't know why :)
I think the particular sensitivity about the name of the origin station on Travelcards is due to the circumstances which led to the planned privatisation of the London - Tilbury - Southend line to be postponed in February 1996. The Secretary of State's statement is here.

My recollection is that the management of the shadow franchise instructed staff at Fenchurch St to issue Travelcards showing an origin of Upminster instead. This would have led to LTS Rail receiving a higher proportion of the fare, mainly at the expense of London Underground, and was regarded as fraud.
 

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
I have today tried buying the zone 1-4 tickets online as advised but am having problems because both East Coast and FGW websites insist on charging me for "next day delivery" and do not give me the choice of collecting from Cheltenham station.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
taxidave:928998 said:
I have today tried buying the zone 1-4 tickets online as advised but am having problems because both East Coast and FGW websites insist on charging me for "next day delivery" and do not give me the choice of collecting from Cheltenham station.

That's interesting.. Does it offer the choice of any another station? Because I do believe and other forum members can help. That just because you select London Paddington you could infact collect your tickets from Cheltenham Spa. I may be wrong.

Edit. : I've just tried a Dummy booking on. www.londonmidland.com, for your above Journey and it gave me the option to collect at Cheltenham Spa. You have to select where it says collection station and scroll up to Cheltenham Spa. It will then ask you to confirm this is right. Let me know how you get on.
 
Last edited:

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
That's interesting.. Does it offer the choice of any another station? Because I do believe and other forum members can help. That just because you select London Paddington you could infact collect your tickets from Cheltenham Spa. I may be wrong.

Edit. : I've just tried a Dummy booking on. www.londonmidland.com, for your above Journey and it gave me the option to collect at Cheltenham Spa. You have to select where it says collection station and scroll up to Cheltenham Spa. It will then ask you to confirm this is right. Let me know how you get on.

It isn't giving me that option, just insists on sending them by post and charging me £6.00 for the privilege.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
It isn't giving me that option, just insists on sending them by post and charging me £6.00 for the privilege.

Seems to be an issue with East Coast. South Eastern will also happily offer TOD.
 

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
Yes it works ok on LM, but not on East Coast or FGW.
As a zone 1-6 is the same price as the zone 1-4 with a senior railcard (£5.60) I will get them at the station tomorrow.
 

taxidave

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
119
Did you manage to get the Other 7 adults on LondonMidland?
The FGW website was working ok when I booked those, it was only when I came to do the 2 senior ones that I had a problem.
I went to the station and got 1 senior travelcard when I got the 7 from the ticket machine and will get the other tomorrow from a different clerk.:lol::lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top