• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying railcard discounted ticket without railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2006
Messages
712
Just wanted to check - I'm buying a ticket for someone to travel to London in December. I'm buying it in advance to get a decent price, moreso when combined with their railcard. Right now, they do not have a railcard, but by the date of travel, they will have a Disabled Persons Railcard. I'm 99% sure this is fine but thought I'd check here.

Also, I assume they can collect from a ticket machine or office without having my credit card.

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Just wanted to check - I'm buying a ticket for someone to travel to London in December. I'm buying it in advance to get a decent price, moreso when combined with their railcard. Right now, they do not have a railcard, but by the date of travel, they will have a Disabled Persons Railcard. I'm 99% sure this is fine but thought I'd check here.
This is fine. The railcard must be carried, and be available for inspection, during the journey.

Also, I assume they can collect from a ticket machine or office without having my credit card.
This isn't correct. The card is normally required to be able to collect tickets.
 

antharro

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2006
Messages
712
Appreciate the very quick reply @Hadders - thank you. Ok, I'll have them buy the ticket and reimburse them.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,317
Location
Reading
There are ways around it - for example some sites support gift vouchers.
 

bubieyehyeh

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2016
Messages
380
Or buy on a site that accepts paypal and pay with it, and then can you any card with code to collect tickets.

I know Southern accept paypal, but I'm sure there are others.
 

Alex365Dash

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
725
Location
Sussex
Not sure they would necessarily need YOUR credit card.LNWR let you collect tickets using any payment card.
It’s dependent on the retailer - TrainSplit and any tickets purchased using PayPal with any retailer will be set to any card collection, whilst other retailers may or may not require same card collection depending on their policies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top