• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying London travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2008
Messages
384
Please can someone tell me if you can buy a zone 1-2 travelcard on a NXEC train? I thought I'd heard them announce it on my last journey but may have imagined it!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
1,666
Please can someone tell me if you can buy a zone 1-2 travelcard on a NXEC train? I thought I'd heard them announce it on my last journey but may have imagined it!

Yes, NXEC guards have Avantix Mobile ticket machines and these do have the capability to issue Travelcards. NXEC guards also work on a commission basis so I am sure would be more than happy to oblige.
 

bennorthyork

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2008
Messages
384
Thanks. Has anyone bought one on the train before? I'm wondering if they will happily sell you one or only under protest!
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
If they are under commission they are unlikely to say no as long as they have the time. It's a fairly simple operation as well.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
I've asked to buy a rover before, and the train manager didn't seem to be interested! (FGW not NX)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I have heard reports in the past of NXEC refusing to sell tickets for onward travel except if you want a dreaded full-price peak time fare!

However this may have changed in recent months as they all have Avantix machines and seem to be actively selling travelcards, I have seen guards go through offering them to people and one guard even ran out of stock and announced he could be found at the front of the train if anyone else wanted travelcards.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I have heard reports in the past of NXEC refusing to sell tickets for onward travel except if you want a dreaded full-price peak time fare!

However this may have changed in recent months as they all have Avantix machines and seem to be actively selling travelcards, I have seen guards go through offering them to people and one guard even ran out of stock and announced he could be found at the front of the train if anyone else wanted travelcards.
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
You can say that again.

It is possible, yes. They should be happy to oblige, as has been said.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I've asked to buy a rover before, and the train manager didn't seem to be interested! (FGW not NX)
A Travelcard isn't issued as a Rover though and the guards are much more likely to know how to issue it.
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,714
Location
London
Indeed, that is of course the reason, TM didn't have a clue how to go into Rover Enquiries..
 

Capybara

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
498
Location
SE11
I haven't purchased one myself, but I travelled down from Leeds a couple of weeks ago and they announced that they could sell Underground tickets. When the guard came round the chap across the aisle asked for a return to Belsize Park and the guard obliged with a Zones 1-2 Travelcard which is, of course, correct. So there shouldn't be a problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top