• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying Day Travelcards in Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovian98

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
31
I tried to buy some Day Travelcards for travel next month from Cambridge today and was told that unlike normal NR tickets, these are normally only sold for dates up to a week in advance. Is this a condition of the ticket or was it just some TOC sales guidance or something?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
National policy is that a Day Travelcard may only be issued up to 7 days in advance, except in conjunction with Advance tickets, where they may be issued up to 12 weeks in advance.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
What a daft rule; given you can buy them online for as long as their booking horizons extend. It's no surprise people are avoiding booking offices if in addition to the staff being obstructive, the Tocs have also made up some pretty silly rules themselves. (One wonders if this is to get people to avoid using them).
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Out of interest, what's the situation if one attempts to purchase a travelcard with a railcard discount? I used to try to buy my travelcards a couple of days in advance when I commuted to uni, as I needed to catch a bus to get to the station in the morning, necessitating that I had the travelcard on me when leaving home. South West Trains and NXEA were always happy to sell me the tickets, but South Eastern always said they couldn't – except for one specific clerk at New Cross. If I recall correctly, they said that I couldn't buy them in advance because of the railcard, hence the question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top